GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the Difference between GTI and Golf R flywheel

Ellitey

Does anyone know the difference between the GTI and the Golf R flywheel?

They have two different part numbers:
06J-105-266-AL (GTI)
06K-105-266-H (R)

In the VW system, the R is cheaper (at the moment - when new parts come out, they are cheaper sometimes, but then price adjust. We all think the R flywheel will be more expensive in the end).

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to install the Sachs SRE clutch and pressure plate. I don't want to deal with the issues that some have been having with a SMFW (surging, noise etc.).

So, if I have to replace my flywheel, I'd like to get the best DMFW I can. If the R uses different materials that make it better, I'd rather use that instead (doesn't hurt that it's cheaper as well).

Of does anyone have a viable aftermarket piece that won't cause issues that I mentioned above?

I'm going to end up going Stage 1 with an intercooler. While I'm doing the clutch, I'm going to install a Peloquin Diff as well.

Wisebob

Does anyone know the difference between the GTI and the Golf R flywheel?

They have two different part numbers:
06J-105-266-AL (GTI)
06K-105-266-H (R)

In the VW system, the R is cheaper (at the moment - when new parts come out, they are cheaper sometimes, but then price adjust. We all think the R flywheel will be more expensive in the end).

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to install the Sachs SRE clutch and pressure plate. I don't want to deal with the issues that some have been having with a SMFW (surging, noise etc.).

So, if I have to replace my flywheel, I'd like to get the best DMFW I can. If the R uses different materials that make it better, I'd rather use that instead (doesn't hurt that it's cheaper as well).

Of does anyone have a viable aftermarket piece that won't cause issues that I mentioned above?

I'm going to end up going Stage 1 with an intercooler. While I'm doing the clutch, I'm going to install a Peloquin Diff as well.
This is something along the lines of what I've been thinking of too. I'm thinking of the Wavetrac diff though. Any particular reason you're going with Peloquin?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
If you go to the Sachs website (they make the OEM flywheel) you can see some of the differences. If you look at the clutch discs you can see they have a slightly different OD and ID when comparing the GTI to the R. I'm not 100% sure that's the only difference, but it could be one reason.

GTI (OD 9 29/64")
Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.01.39 AM.png

R (OD 9 3/8")

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.03.23 AM.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Can you use the R DMF in the GTI? Is the transmission the same otherwise?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Can you use the R DMF in the GTI? Is the transmission the same otherwise?
Sachs lists two different PN for R vs GTI, I'd err on the side of getting the specific one but I'm not 100% sure the other one wouldn't work

AM407

Autocross Champion
If you go to the Sachs website (they make the OEM flywheel) you can see some of the differences. If you look at the clutch discs you can see they have a slightly different OD and ID when comparing the GTI to the R. I'm not 100% sure that's the only difference, but it could be one reason.

GTI (OD 9 29/64")
View attachment 198814

R (OD 9 3/8")

View attachment 198818
9 24/64” vs 9 29/64”? I bet they just weren’t consistent when converting from metric. The difference is tiny.

If you look on Sachs’ Euro site, both clutches are listed as being 240 mm OD.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
9 24/64” vs 9 29/64”? I bet they just weren’t consistent when converting from metric. The difference is tiny.

If you look on Sachs’ Euro site, both clutches are listed as being 240 mm OD.
Possible, but the price difference is small enough. DMF91192 is the GTI DMFW and DMF91195 is the Golf R. They're within +/- $20, so why not just get the GTI part number.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Possible, but the price difference is small enough. DMF91192 is the GTI DMFW and DMF91195 is the Golf R. They're within +/- $20, so why not just get the GTI part number.
I'm wondering if the R has more surface area and is designed for more power?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
A smaller surface area will give more pressure if force stays the same.

1612696276279.png

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Another thought to consider is not just size of the flywheel but bolt pattern. While the transmission is the same, the R was using the FSI while the GTI was using the newer TSI engine. There may be differences in how it bolts to the crank.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Another thought to consider is not just size of the flywheel but bolt pattern. While the transmission is the same, the R was using the FSI while the GTI was using the newer TSI engine. There may be differences in how it bolts to the crank.

That was for the MK6. MK7 are the same.

There is a difference as the GTi and Golf R can not interchange the pressure plates either. You need to get a clutch kit for the flywheel you have.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I don't think they use the same pressure plates though.

They may not. I’m running a TTRS pressure plate and TDI clutch disk on my MK6 so they might have different part numbers but that doesn’t mean they won’t work.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
That was for the MK6. MK7 are the same.

Thought this was the MK6 forum, did they combine General across all forums too as well as OT? lol

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Pardon my ignorance but isn't the R a DSG? Doesn't that make the flywheel different already? Or is the R now available as a manual transmission? I would tend to think the R has a heavier flywheel due to being awd to prevent bogging on launches. More mass = more momentum, I've driven a awd car with a light flywheel and launches are quite tricky sometimes
Look it up... it comes 6spd.