GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the best (free) software for creating a video?

cb1111

My wife needs to create a video recording (about two hours long) that will be accessed via a link (Dropbox, Box or the like).

She's running a Wndows computer (32Gb memory, 1Tb etc. - so pretty loaded, but just onboard graphics) and will be using a Jabra Speak 750 speakerphone and either a Jabra Panacast camera or a Logi Brio. The camera will be on a tripod and placed to get both participants.

She'll be recording herself and one other person, so it'll have to a "set it and forget it" once the recording starts.

While I can't say that this is a one time thing, it won't be very frequent, so she doesn't want to spend any money and the final results should be good, but don't need to look completely professional - although that wouldn't be bad.

Is something like OBS Studio appropriate or is there something better/easier?

Thoughts and rude comments appreciated.

cb1111

Does the lack of replies mean that everyone is as confused as I am?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Is there a Mac available? GarageBand or iMovie is free.

A modern cell phone is not a bad option and can be edited on the phone. For decent audio you are gonna want a mic. They make decent ones that plug into phones.

cb1111

Is there a Mac available? GarageBand or iMovie is free.

A modern cell phone is not a bad option and can be edited on the phone. For decent audio you are gonna want a mic. They make decent ones that plug into phones.
No Mac, but a good idea. The cell phone isn't a bad idea - We have Samsung A53 phones - so pretty competent and I can always bluetooth the speakerphone to it.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
If you go the phone route, make sure you can keep it plugged into a charger. Video recordings drain the battery faster than you'd think. I cannot imagine it lasting for two hours without external power... not even close! Do some tests to make sure that having it plugged into a charger doesn't introduce an "AC hum" onto the audio. If you have a different camera, my favorite is my DSLR, then make sure that the video doesn't automatically shut off at 30 minutes or some shorter time. That's the primary shortcoming of my DSLR. Don't invest in a GoPro! It'll overheat on a long video. Trust me on that! My next "action cam" will probably be a DJI Osmo (https://amzn.to/3ZxVFqj). You're also going to need a large memory card for a two-hour video! And, as said, more battery or external power.

As others have said, an external mic is a MUST. If you have the camera (phone or other) far enough away to cover two people, then the mic will be far enough away to pick-up a lot of unwanted noise. Viewers abandon videos way faster over poor audio quality than video. Invest in at least one remote mic, even if it has a cord. I have both wired and wireless mics. A lapel mic gives the best sound sound quality for the dollar. A boom over the camera frame is ideal, but may cost more. I have a Rode Wireless GO and usually plug a lapel mic into the transmitter. I'd buy the Wireless GO II (https://amzn.to/3SWnB4R) if I was shopping today and expected to have more than one person in the video.

I've used a few different editing programs for Windows. The best I've used is easily Adobe Premier Pro. Yes, the subscription sort of sucks, but the program is always up to date and just WORKS: No glitches due to "old" software or obsolescence due to OS updates. Those "surprises" after an OS update were terribly inconvenient, to say the least. Adobe's subscription takes care of that with seamless updates. The question is whether you'd use it often enough to justify the cost or if your viewers/sponsors will pay enough to cover the costs. My YT channel generates enough income to cover my software subscriptions. If your wife is doing this as part of a business, then perhaps it can be a business expense write-off.

Good Luck!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Since we are in the same age bracket I'll suggest soft focus.

cb1111

If you go the phone route, make sure you can keep it plugged into a charger. Video recordings drain the battery faster than you'd think. I cannot imagine it lasting for two hours without external power... not even close! Do some tests to make sure that having it plugged into a charger doesn't introduce an "AC hum" onto the audio. If you have a different camera, my favorite is my DSLR, then make sure that the video doesn't automatically shut off at 30 minutes or some shorter time. That's the primary shortcoming of my DSLR. Don't invest in a GoPro! It'll overheat on a long video. Trust me on that! My next "action cam" will probably be a DJI Osmo (https://amzn.to/3ZxVFqj). You're also going to need a large memory card for a two-hour video! And, as said, more battery or external power.

As others have said, an external mic is a MUST. If you have the camera (phone or other) far enough away to cover two people, then the mic will be far enough away to pick-up a lot of unwanted noise. Viewers abandon videos way faster over poor audio quality than video. Invest in at least one remote mic, even if it has a cord. I have both wired and wireless mics. A lapel mic gives the best sound sound quality for the dollar. A boom over the camera frame is ideal, but may cost more. I have a Rode Wireless GO and usually plug a lapel mic into the transmitter. I'd buy the Wireless GO II (https://amzn.to/3SWnB4R) if I was shopping today and expected to have more than one person in the video.

I've used a few different editing programs for Windows. The best I've used is easily Adobe Premier Pro. Yes, the subscription sort of sucks, but the program is always up to date and just WORKS: No glitches due to "old" software or obsolescence due to OS updates. Those "surprises" after an OS update were terribly inconvenient, to say the least. Adobe's subscription takes care of that with seamless updates. The question is whether you'd use it often enough to justify the cost or if your viewers/sponsors will pay enough to cover the costs. My YT channel generates enough income to cover my software subscriptions. If your wife is doing this as part of a business, then perhaps it can be a business expense write-off.

Good Luck!
Yes, I was thinking the lapel mic route too.

While my wife is doing this as part of a business, this may be just a "once and done". Up until now, she only does audio recordings, but needs to do one video recording for a super-duper certification that'll make her one of about 30 people in the universe (and that certificate, along with $20, will buy here a cup of coffee at Starbucks - but I digress).

If this works halfway decently though, I suspect that she may be using the video recordings more frequently - but we don't want to invest a bunch of money until she thinks that this will help her clients.