GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wheres the hip hop?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Here's a wild one. Anyone listen to Prof? I have to link more than 1 song because all of his songs are so different. He was under the Rhymesayers label until they fucked him over. #fuckrhymesayers

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Have you explored country rap/hip hop?

I love country music and rap/hip hop so I dig the fusion.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i have been exposed to country hip hop by plenty and can't get behind it. It seems like kind of an oxymoron sort of a genre, and doesn't vibe for me.

Country is generally built upon foundations of honoring classical american values such as hard work, family, loving their constitution, law enforcement, driving trucks and farming.
Considering hip hop has roots from all over the place, primarily the blues, one could argue there is a relationship to be had, however it is a stretch when one considers many core foundations of hip hop may stem from a deep frustration with the way america has treated black residents, as such many verses propose the exact opposite of the country values (making money the easy way, not having a father or family, hating law enforcement, being in the city or dense urban environment). So the country rappers kind of sidestep the original country vibes and profess being into outlandish farm-field parties with cheap country girls, big lifted trucks on ghetto rims... kinda makes me cringe personally.
It also stands to bear that those who originally loved country heir from the south where racism still holds strong roots today, so again, why would they be getting into hip hop? Its a complex issue; of course with the complexification of todays societies i am not surprised that people have done everything they can to try and keep country music alive with modern day musical elements (all country popular on the radio these days has kicks, snares and more of a trap beat tempo, as well as electronic bass lines). But in doing so, the flavor of country that i grew up on (my mom loved good ole 80's/90's country music) was completely lost. Again, only makes sense because only ~1% or less of americans are actually farmers anyway. Most everyone works in logistics, finance, retail, etc. So where does that leave country?

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
I think my current favorites are Lil Ugly Mane, The Doppelgangaz, Larry June, Nickelus F, and Isaiah Rashad. None are truly "underground", but I doubt you'd ever hear them on the radio. Maybe Isaiah Rashad would be the closest but he's got a great flow. Ugly mane I prefer for his beats and production, but everyone that knows him seems to know him for Mista Thug Isolation. It's good, but he's got great stuff on Three Sided Tape and some of his other instrumental mixtapes.

Incredible Album with Nickelus F and Ugly Mane producing under the alias Shawn Kemp:

The Doppelgangaz (they've got so much, it's hard to pick one):

One of my favorite Larry June tracks, but probably not his best. Good cruising music, nothing super lyrical:

One of my favorite Isaiah Rashad tracks:

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
And some older songs/groups that I like:

Cannibal Ox. The entire Cold Vein album is incredible. Very listenable all the way through.

Afu Ra. Body of the Life Force, is an incredible album, and was one of those that got me into hip hop when I was younger. This song and Mic Stance are my favorites:

Juggaknots. Re:Release is a great album from them. Sex Type Thang and Trouble Man are my two favorites but again, the whole album is great.

There's plenty of other ones, but I think those are the albums that really got me into hip hop in addition to like Triple Six Mafia Underground Vol. 1 and Wu-Tang.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
i have been exposed to country hip hop by plenty and can't get behind it. It seems like kind of an oxymoron sort of a genre, and doesn't vibe for me.

Country is generally built upon foundations of honoring classical american values such as hard work, family, loving their constitution, law enforcement, driving trucks and farming.
Considering hip hop has roots from all over the place, primarily the blues, one could argue there is a relationship to be had, however it is a stretch when one considers many core foundations of hip hop may stem from a deep frustration with the way america has treated black residents, as such many verses propose the exact opposite of the country values (making money the easy way, not having a father or family, hating law enforcement, being in the city or dense urban environment). So the country rappers kind of sidestep the original country vibes and profess being into outlandish farm-field parties with cheap country girls, big lifted trucks on ghetto rims... kinda makes me cringe personally.
It also stands to bear that those who originally loved country heir from the south where racism still holds strong roots today, so again, why would they be getting into hip hop? Its a complex issue; of course with the complexification of todays societies i am not surprised that people have done everything they can to try and keep country music alive with modern day musical elements (all country popular on the radio these days has kicks, snares and more of a trap beat tempo, as well as electronic bass lines). But in doing so, the flavor of country that i grew up on (my mom loved good ole 80's/90's country music) was completely lost. Again, only makes sense because only ~1% or less of americans are actually farmers anyway. Most everyone works in logistics, finance, retail, etc. So where does that leave country?

Wasn’t prepared for that much depth lol

I would say they have similarities in that the ghetto is a basically a trailer park in the city. They have the same struggles but their environment and roots are different. At the core the struggles of the poor are the same no matter your race.

*I spent some of my childhood in a trailer park and later spent it out in the country. Bon fires, trucks, mud, drinking, 4 wheelers, floating on the river, shooting guns and bows. I connect more with that then the “merica” and country pride part of the genre. Yes newer country has a different sound then it did back in the day but they are all talking about the same stuff.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Juggaknots are cool. I gotta be in the right mood for some of their songs, but Trouble Man is always good.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Didnt know that was even a thing. Country is just about the only music genre I can't get into. My fiance likes it so I have to endure more than I'd like

The new stuff is certainly more hip/hop ish but I like it just as much as the older stuff.

I grew up on 90’s country and there are still artists like that. Jon Pardy and Chris Stapleton come to mind.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Old 90's classic with international flair...

riceburner

Autocross Champion
And some older songs/groups that I like:

Cannibal Ox. The entire Cold Vein album is incredible. Very listenable all the way through.

Afu Ra. Body of the Life Force, is an incredible album, and was one of those that got me into hip hop when I was younger. This song and Mic Stance are my favorites:

Juggaknots. Re:Release is a great album from them. Sex Type Thang and Trouble Man are my two favorites but again, the whole album is great.

There's plenty of other ones, but I think those are the albums that really got me into hip hop in addition to like Triple Six Mafia Underground Vol. 1 and Wu-Tang.
totally with you on these selects! actually just found the cannibal ox album a few weeks ago and was like wow, i hadn't heard vast aire in years, since some mixtape called verses vs beats actually. AfuRa was awesome when i was younger too. Juggaknots are sick.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Wasn’t prepared for that much depth lol

I would say they have similarities in that the ghetto is a basically a trailer park in the city. They have the same struggles but their environment and roots are different. At the core the struggles of the poor are the same no matter your race.

*I spent some of my childhood in a trailer park and later spent it out in the country. Bon fires, trucks, mud, drinking, 4 wheelers, floating on the river, shooting guns and bows. I connect more with that then the “merica” and country pride part of the genre. Yes newer country has a different sound then it did back in the day but they are all talking about the same stuff.
i can see those similarities as well. country hip hop still gets a downvote from me, but that said 90% will say everything i listen to sucks so what do i know lol