GOLFMKV

wheres the hip hop?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
good christ

HIP HOP, not kids bop

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
He sounds so whiny. Like he's trying not to cry.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Apathy has some stuff I like a lot. This one's all about mocking auto tuners.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i've never found another group that raps like these guys did in their album 'table scraps'. the closest thing might be company flow/EL-P stuff

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Wow there’s a lot I need to check out in this thread.

I’m still discovering older rap but try to appreciate the newer stuff. Gucci Mane’s Dance with the Devil keeps coming into my ears and I’m happy about that.

One question that never goes away, for me, is whether there’s a better lyricist than Eminem? Would love to hear who you think is on that level because I can’t find anyone better.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
One question that never goes away, for me, is whether there’s a better lyricist than Eminem? Would love to hear who you think is on that level because I can’t find anyone better.
its a solid question and depends how you define lyricism and what makes it good.

I can define good lyricism in a few ways:
Ability to connect with the intended listener in creative ways, leaving them thinking 'why couldn't I write something like that?'
Creative rhyme schemes, far beyond 'cat in the hat', that both sound interesting and non-repeating ways
speed of the flow is important but also thats more of a physical ability thing, lots of boring fast flows out there. But the ability to match words back to back that aid in the sharp sounding flows is hard to do like em does
punch lines. context. etc

I can think of lots of great contenders but its always gonna be subjective to the listener. theres soo much amazing stuff out there lyrically

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'd put Atmosphere up there. Nobody can tell better stories in his raps than him.

There's also nobody with a bigger vocab than Aesop Rock.

The title of this song is my xbox gamertag. One day I'll change it.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Em is GOAT.