GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

While driving car will not accelerate past 4,000 RPM's

egrunt

Passed Driver's Ed
Yesterday the wife and I are out and about for a good part of the day put over 100 miles on the GTI. Later in the afternoon on our way home on the freeway traveling at 65 mphs I went to accelerate over to the off ramp and the GTI would not accelerate past 4,000 rpm's. The GTI had no power above 4,000 rpm's. The car idled fine at a red light and no check engine light(CEL). Accelerated fine up to 4,000 rpm's and still no CEL. We were still about 10 miles from our house. When I got within a 1/2 mile I pulled over and re-started the car. Now the CEL illuminated and the problem still existed. It was early enough in the afternoon that we were able to get the GTI into the dealership to be looked at on Monday. I did a quick search on the Internet and was unable to find anything similar to my issue. Most problems dealt with the vehicle engine stalling and having to be re-started. Our GTI is a 2012 model year with 42,220 miles with s DSG transmission. I have an extended warranty so at least it will be covered. We just had the low pressure fuel in the gas tank fail at 39,600 miles back in July on our way to Vegas. I am thinking it may be a high pressure fuel pump or sensor. Has anyone experienced and issue such as this one and what the problem may be. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

simpson110

Ready to race!
Wild guess, valet mode?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
HPFP. exactly what it will do when its broke. mine broke.

egrunt

Passed Driver's Ed
No on the valet mode. I have the stages locked out and I conformed it was on the 91 octane setting.

cranker1987

Ready to race!
My TDI had a "safe mode" where it wouldn't accelerate like that, but still ran. I was 50 miles from home. It is designed so no additional damage could be done to the engine. I would guess the GTI has the same safe mode, but I'm not sure. You should get it to the dealer ASAP.

I reread your first post and that you got it to a dealer. It sounds like your car went into "safe mode" too. The problem could be a multitude of things to cause the car to do it. Mine was that the fuel system was failing on the TDI. VW replaced the whole fuel system, which was still just under warranty.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
limp dick mode? Did you scan for any error codes that wouldnt throw a CEL?

jemartti

My car is a 2009 GTI, with APR Stage I loaded installed including passcode and valet mode (Futrell Autowerks in Oregon did the job).

Several months after the flash, I left my car at an airport valet park lot in Seattle for two weeks; I left it to them with valet mode enabled (I figured: it's there so—what the hell—I might as well use it). After I flew home and picked up my car, the car was stuck in valet mode. I couldn't change programs via the stalk, I couldn't enter a passcode, nothing worked. I was lucky it was late at night, so I was able to drive (crawl) the half–hour home with the four–ways on.

I took the car to AchTuning (Redmond, WA) in the morning and they didn't know what was up either. The idea of a faulty cruise stalk was suggested, but we started with a reflash to be safe. Lo and behold, that solved the problem; I've gone six months now without any issues. AchTuning told me they recommend against flashing passcodes and valet mode because they've had finicky issues in the past (I've yet to hear of other APR dealers mentioning this).

I'm not sure what caused the problem, but if you're stuck, consider getting your tune reflashed; it's cheap, safe, and has a good chance of solving your problem.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Had exact same problem on my SRT4... except it was the Camshaft Position Sensor(cheap fix). Don't think this issue translates completely into the VW world. Not sure.

egrunt

Passed Driver's Ed
GTI was fixed and returned today and repairs covered under the power train warranty. They replaced the high pressure fuel pump and breather valve. They found the fuel pressure too low and system too lean. The breather valve was found to be leaking.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie

GTI was fixed and returned today and repairs covered under the power train warranty. They replaced the high pressure fuel pump and breather valve. They found the fuel pressure too low and system too lean. The breather valve was found to be leaking.

Exactly.