GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who knows about Macs

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
I in have my first Mac, a 2008 mini, which up until about a year ago was still going. Eventually support was dropped, it is 32bit. I was ok with that. My 2011 Mini still runs great. My mid 2014 MacBook Pro is still running strong except for a battery replacement I had done. My wife still has her air going strong and my daughter just bought one. I have one Windows machine for VCDS and Other assorted software that works with my 3D printer. I could run a virtual box, but this was easier as I find some of the applications work better in a native environment.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
One thing about Linux users. They gonna remind you they're Linux users. Over and over and over. 😆

Mac gets more powerful the second u memorize it's key combination short cuts. The flow gets really good then

My wife has a m1 MacBook. Crazy impressive with a battery life that would make you seriously doubt the screen on time. It's got a beautiful screen. Amazing speakers, great reliable ios integration and many other features that just makes me feel like the Mac does personal computing better.

I personally have a PC I built for myself. 2700x on a taichi x370 board, 16gb ram, 1tb Mickey mouse SSD, ftw3 gtx 1080ti, CPU has an EVGA aio cooler. I used to game on it but can't anymore due to physical issues with my back and legs getting worse. I think this is gonna be the last PC for me. I am strongly considering getting the newer m1 pro MacBook for my wife and keeping her m1 for myself.

I'm just seeing so much value in a more better considered personal experience that allows me to use hardware and software that integrates at a level that truly gives my experience more value while simultaneously allowing me to multitask like a beast.

No need to retort or rebuttal, gentlemen. What works for one won't work for the rest. I get that. Hope y'all do too.

For gaming. My daughter got me the oled switch and I absolutely love it. It truly is everything I wanted the psp to be! Javwhol hooked me up with the pro controller and I'm now up like 12 or 14 games. It scratches the itch in a good way.

But yeah. If y'all can learn a few key combo commands it will absolutely improve your flow.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Can someone with Mac skills help me here?

So I had a PC with iTunes and had my iPhone backed up on it.
Then we got this 27" Mac and I backed up my iPhone to it and it transferred most of the music, but not all of it. (it's authorized)
So I still have a bunch more music on my iPhone that's not on my iMac......how do I get all of it on here (to match up), so I can play it thru Music?

If I click the sync button (now) it seems like it would wipe out my phone with the (lesser amount of) music that's on the iMac currently to sync it.

Even, for another example, if I chose a song in Music (with my phone connected)....it shows them all but won't play them.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion

Then we got this 27" Mac and I backed up my iPhone to it and it transferred most of the music, but not all of it. (it's authorized)
So I still have a bunch more music on my iPhone that's not on my iMac......how do I get all of it on here (to match up), so I can play it thru Music?

If I click the sync button (now) it seems like it would wipe out my phone with the (lesser amount of) music that's on the iMac currently to sync it.

Even, for another example, if I chose a song in Music (with my phone connected)....it shows them all but won't play them.
If you go into the sync settings, then click the music tab, is it set to entire music library?

I had a similar issue with music that I imported into iTunes on a pc. Some of it I don't think I ever got back.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion

Ok. There’s a few things here.

When you sync your phone it will always be whatever is on the Mac to the phone. Since there is a discrepancy in what’s on your phone and Mac, back up didn’t complete, corrupted files, what have you, it will do exactly as you describe. That’s the correct action.

The files that haven’t been backed up yet, are they purchased through iTunes? Were they ripped and then added to the library? Try to see if there’s a common denominator between accessible and inaccessible music. I used to have a bunch of torrent music and no matter what site I got it from, my torrent client or the file type, it never really worked well with iTunes. Even if I converted it.

Is there a marker next to the title? Sometimes when there is an issue it will mark the title and give you the error when you click on it. Make sure the back up completed. Attempt another back up and keep an eye up top to see the status. It should take a while.

Check your file path for back up storage, should be in Preferences>advanced (I believe) and navigate to the path and see that the files are actually in there. Sometimes the first backup takes a while in the background to index everything for faster access next time.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
If you go into the sync settings, then click the music tab, is it set to entire music library?

I had a similar issue with music that I imported into iTunes on a pc. Some of it I don't think I ever got back.
I forgot about this, it wasn’t anything I used but would catch me now and then. Make sure it’s set to entire library and not checked songs and titles.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

From when my phone is connected to the Mac?

If so, yeah
Ok. There’s a few things here.

When you sync your phone it will always be whatever is on the Mac to the phone. Since there is a discrepancy in what’s on your phone and Mac, back up didn’t complete, corrupted files, what have you, it will do exactly as you describe. That’s the correct action.

The files that haven’t been backed up yet, are they purchased through iTunes? Were they ripped and then added to the library? Try to see if there’s a common denominator between accessible and inaccessible music. I used to have a bunch of torrent music and no matter what site I got it from, my torrent client or the file type, it never really worked well with iTunes. Even if I converted it.

Is there a marker next to the title? Sometimes when there is an issue it will mark the title and give you the error when you click on it. Make sure the back up completed. Attempt another back up and keep an eye up top to see the status. It should take a while.

Check your file path for back up storage, should be in Preferences>advanced (I believe) and navigate to the path and see that the files are actually in there. Sometimes the first backup takes a while in the background to index everything for faster access next time.
The music that isn't on the Mac, I'm pretty sure, is all older stuff....like ripped from CD's or downloaded back in the day on my PC. It all played thru iTunes on the PC and what not though, and will play on my iPhone though.

When I click on my phone in Music, when it's connected to the Mac, it'll show all the music on the phone.....but it doesn't let me play ANY of it. I thought that was odd. (in addition to it not being in my library).

So is there a way to get the music from the phone to the Mac? (basically backwards of how it should be--instead of from Mac to Phone)

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
From when my phone is connected to the Mac?

If so, yeah

The music that isn't on the Mac, I'm pretty sure, is all older stuff....like ripped from CD's or downloaded back in the day on my PC. It all played thru iTunes on the PC and what not though, and will play on my iPhone though.

When I click on my phone in Music, when it's connected to the Mac, it'll show all the music on the phone.....but it doesn't let me play ANY of it. I thought that was odd. (in addition to it not being in my library).

So is there a way to get the music from the phone to the Mac? (basically backwards of how it should be--instead of from Mac to Phone)
Not intuitively since that’s not how it’s designed to work. If you have your PC, you could just dump the music on your Mac, but judging by your question I’m assuming you don’t.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Not intuitively since that’s not how it’s designed to work. If you have your PC, you could just dump the music on your Mac, but judging by your question I’m assuming you don’t.
No, I actually DO still have the PC and it works and everything!

So how would/do I transfer it to the Mac?

Can I backup my PC's iTunes to an external HD or something? And then I'd have to "import" the music onto the Mac?
Or is there a easier/better way?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
No, I actually DO still have the PC and it works and everything!

So how would/do I transfer it to the Mac?

Can I backup my PC's iTunes to an external HD or something? And then I'd have to "import" the music onto the Mac?
Or is there a easier/better way?
Oh. That’s perfect. So much easier. There’s a few ways, third party software, drag and drop, but my preferred method is what you stated. I leave all of my data on an external anyways, this has saved my bacon many times. All things being equal, it is usually easier to start fresh, but everyone is different. You should be able to go in to iTunes and point it to the folder on your external after it’s plugged in. Once you start to access stuff,
If it’s missing it will let you know. Let me know if you have any issues.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Once you're settled with iTunes on the Mac.. I use this cool little program available in the App Store called Export for iTunes that does a stellar job exporting to external media. Yeah, you can simply drag & drop it, but this tool automates everything, and is especially useful for playlists, since it automatically keeps the file paths correct (which are going to be different on your external media than on your Mac). Super useful, I use it every time I want to update my media..

https://www.gtrigonakis.com/exportforitunes