GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who runs 19 inch wheels here? Thoughts?

saad

Go Kart Champion
Reason I ask is because I think I know what wheels I want. I was gonna go with some Oz Ultraleggerras, but Im not 100% on the look, although the weight is awesome. They are also quite pricey.

BBS CMs are also hot, but again a bit expensive, and Im not 100% on the look either.

I was looking throught the VMR range, and they look fantastic, get great reviews and are very well prices. Although I did want a lightweight wheel, I will settle for the same weight as the OEM wheels. I figure if I really wanted performanc, light weight wheels, i would get some light weight 17s, which may be on the cards later for track days and what not, and there are a few great options around for quite cheap.

Anyway, I really like the VMR V701 and V709:

V709:

v701:

And heres a pic of the BBS CMs too just for reference

Now the VMR wheels are avilable only in 19 inch at the moment. I really like the look of them, and 19s look fantastic, but I dont want any hassles like tyre rubbing and so forth. For track days I will probably run the 17s, but I wont swap them for random mountain drives etc. I will be getting some sachs coil overs soon, and will be lowering the car also.

In the US, a LOT of people seem to run 19s with no problems, but Im not sure if you have to roll the guards or not.

The other wheels Im looking at is the VMR710 which does come in 18, and looks great too:

So what do you say? 19s or 18s? And will 19s look oK on stock height? Like I said i really like the VMR wheels in 19, and love how 19s fill out the guards but dont want too many hassles. These wheels are for show not go so to speak, but will be going for spirited drived with them.

Cheers

Saad

Schnitzel Baby

Bright shirt, dull mind
Car(s)
Golf MK5 GTi
It's all in the eye of the beholder and maybe I'm showing my age, but I don't get the whole 19 inch wheel thing. To me, once they get that big they start looking like cart wheels. There's also bugger all compliance in the side walls. On GTIs 17's look about right and at a pinch 18s. But, each to their own I guess.

HyeWarrior

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
Hey there... I saw this thread and thought I'll chime in... I recently went to the guys over at VMR, and they test fitted the V709's on my car in the 19" size. I'm lowered about 1.7" all around, and I rubbed going over a few speed bumps. They look good, but I don't think they would look good unless the car is lowered. Personally, I would much rather go with 18" wheels which they are currently working on. They're trying to make 18" versions of all their wheels at the moment. I'm waiting to get some pictures from the guys over there and I'll be sure to pass em along. 19" wheels look good, but they're too big for me personally. If I were you, I'd wait until more news of the 18" size leaks out. Nonetheless, they're wheels look great, I'll be waiting for the smaller size of the V709's and V713's until I make a decision between the two :)

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
stock GTI 17s, colour coded gti/R32 18's, bordering on "i need penis extension" 19's.

saad

Go Kart Champion
Hmm interesting. 19s can look amazing though, but then agian I dont want to attract attention from cops etc.

The bbs's or the v710s now....I love the 701s but not sure when 18s will be available.

Johno is your car in your pic 18s?

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
I had 19s in VMR 715s with an ET 37 offset. I think I was at 23.0 inches fender to ground? Had to roll and pull the fenders. Its going to take some work to get it to look right, 19s arent easy. If I had to do it again, I would go with 17s or 18s

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Hmm interesting. 19s can look amazing though, but then agian I dont want to attract attention from cops etc.

The bbs's or the v710s now....I love the 701s but not sure when 18s will be available.

Johno is your car in your pic 18s?
Johno's wheels are now on my car, and they are 18's.
Pretty much any wheel will look good on a lowered car

saad

Go Kart Champion
OK 19s sound like too much hassle. 18s it is then.

pic of the 710s on a BMP (i have BMP too). Gun metal look squite cool, but i like silver oo as its classic.

still love the 701s though

saad

Go Kart Champion
Apex Im getting the sachs like you too. Im sold now, some 18s lowered on sachs :)

Come on first pay cheque from new job!

suga

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R32
I've got 19" wheels and when I first got my car lowered it had some major rubbing issues . After doing some research found out that I had to do the screw mod , taking a screw out of the fender lining. After that, no more rubbing!

However now that the sussy has settled in (theres about a 1/2 finger gap now) there's slight rubbing when going around corners - it's nothing that I'd be concerned about though. So go for the 19"s! I recommend! :)

saad

Go Kart Champion
Suga do you have a pic I can see? How low are you?

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Awesome mate! And save yourself some time, just spin them all the way down. :thumbsup:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Apex Im getting the sachs like you too. Im sold now, some 18s lowered on sachs :)

Yep stick with 18's. 19's may look slightly better (for show class etc) but will be more bumpy especially if you are planning to drop it, more expensive, price of tyres is more, they will be heavier than stock most likely (unless you're getting a lightweight/expensive wheel). Would probably scrub more (and mean you'd have to roll and pull the guards).