GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who tuned my car?

DubbedByVag

I bought my car as the 3rd owner. The previous owner sold it to me privately but bought the car from the dealership with an APR tune. After owning the car for about a year I put on a 3” downpipe but when I went to my local APR dealer to have it tuned the tech told me that it didn’t have an APR tune on it. I’ve been calling every tuner I could think of but no one seems to have my vin in there system. Any advice would be greatly appreciate

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Not really sure anyone can give you any advice beyond what you've already been doing.

I think APR is really the only tune you can figure out if your car has it or not by yourself, and that's only if it was tuned with more than 1 program. The mechanic would have been able to tell if it was an APR tune when he plugged the laptop into it though, and APR would have been able to tell you if it's tuned with your VIN.

Could be the previous owner lied or was lied to, or unintentionally mislead.

torga

Autocross Champion
Do you have any documentation at all that it was tuned, or just the seller's word? Could it possibly not have a tune at all?
It's odd that APR wouldn't have a record of its VIN if it indeed had their tune. Do you know exactly which dealership it was originally purchased from? If it's tuned, they should have documentation.

torga

Autocross Champion
I think APR is really the only tune you can figure out if your car has it or not by yourself, and that's only if it was tuned with more than 1 program.

GIAC keeps a VIN log, too. Unsure about others.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
GIAC keeps a VIN log, too. Unsure about others.

I mean, APR is the only one that offers program switching without a handheld, so if the previous owner had more than 1 program he could see if it's APR by trying to change the program with the wiper stalk, but not everybody with an APR tune has more than 1 program.

DubbedByVag

Yeah I’m thinking it’s not tuned by anyone so I think I’m just going to suck it up, save up and pay full price for a stage 2 tune :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
I mean, APR is the only one that offers program switching without a handheld, so if the previous owner had more than 1 program he could see if it's APR by trying to change the program with the wiper stalk, but not everybody with an APR tune has more than 1 program.

Oh word, my bad. I misunderstood what you said in your original comment. Thought you meant APR was the only tune you could figure out without taking it to someone to plug in.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie

Mk7 does not have program switching...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Mk7 does not have program switching...

I'm pretty sure this thread was originally in the mk6 forum? I wasn't even reading mk7 forums until I got mine a few months ago.