GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why The American Car Market Sucks: a Microcosm

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
So I follow an Instagram page that’s local to Philly called “cheesesteak motorwerkes.” The guy who runs the page valets at some place called the Union League, so he gets to see all kinds of cool cars. He also just posts cool finds around the city.

Yesterday he posted a poll asking whether you’d prefer a White Buick Regal Tour-X or a Great Falls Green Alltrack. Mind you - this is a relatively enthusiast-oriented page, and the guy who runs it has great taste.

The final results: Regal Tour-X beat the Alltrack 68-32.

If you ask me, this right here is a microcosm of how and why the American car market sucks. If VW can’t even win a wagon contest in a market where pickings are slim to none, and the average responder is actually a car person... we’re screwed. People just don’t get it.

Attachments

• D86DE59E-0A2B-45B4-85C4-EA9DE61F7D56.png
    D86DE59E-0A2B-45B4-85C4-EA9DE61F7D56.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 174

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The Buicks are really nice. My sister was looking at them when she was car shopping but ended up with a golf all-track due to getting a good deal on one

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
i don’t hate it either but it’s still not available with a manual, and has 0 modding potential. An Alltrack can be turned into a Golf R for 10K less than the MSRP of a Golf R (source: me)

I actually like the Buick better too 🤷‍♂️

The vast majority of people don't care about a manual or modding. I'd personally rather buy a more expensive car than heavily modding a lower trim car since mods don't really add value in most cases.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
i think someone took it personally lol
100%. I never understand why people care so much about what other people think of their car. It's your car, buy what you want, do what you want to it, and do it unapologetically. The only person who needs to like your car is yourself

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
100%. I never understand why people care so much about what other people think of their car. It's your car, buy what you want, do what you want to it, and do it unapologetically. The only person who needs to like your car is yourself
for real- my car is the dopest, hottest shit around and anyone who disagrees is straight trippin 💯

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

it’s simply beyond me how slept-on the Alltrack is. I see it as the last true enthusiast Wagon, and it’s clear to me from this post that even the target market for the car doesn’t care about it. So maybe I’m taking it personally. I just don’t get it lol it’s all the fun of a GTI/R with the utility of a wagon

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I actually like the Buick better too 🤷‍♂️

The vast majority of people don't care about a manual or modding. I'd personally rather buy a more expensive car than heavily modding a lower trim car since mods don't really add value in most cases.
I'm taking that approach with the next new car I buy. Just got to save 120k for that RS6.

Coogles

Go Kart Newbie
People are just voting on looks, and personally I think the Buick looks better too even though if I actually had to spend my own money on one I'd buy the Alltrack. My VW buddy who's owned a 2012 and 2017 GLI needed more space and just bought a new Tiguan R-line because he didn't like the looks of the Alltrack. VW left them looking pretty plain, honestly. I'd rather drive the Alltrack than either of them, but VW didn't do it any favors with that front bumper.