GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wireless android Auto

khgerrard

Has anyone in UK managed to get wireless android Auto to work, I've heard this is meant to be something that works on the MK8

andygodber

No - not yet. Might be worth providing more info for others to track: car, sw version of head unit, and phone type.
So: GTI sw 1664, and a OnePlus 7T Pro.

Connection via USB works (eventually), and I can connect to the VW inbuilt hotspot but Android Auto isnt recognised, even if I start it automatically.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
@Massimo 2323 was researching this previously. May have the latest info.....

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I know that anyone with the 16xx software will not have wireless Android Auto while those with infotainment sw 17xx are known to work.
Anyone in the UK that has the 177x sw if they can check to see if this works.
I know AA wireless is working in other countries.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I'm in the UK and it's working fine for me.I have software number 1788 I'm glad it does as i use Tidal to stream music and the built in VW Tidal is awful.

mark2jag

I'm in the UK and it's working fine for me.I have software number 1788 I'm glad it does as i use Tidal to stream music and the built in VW Tidal is awful.
Hi Wallop. Can you spill the beans on how you have managed to get a version of android auto wireless that works please. I ask because i looked at a new golf today thats still got the 1664 software version, and then made some further enquiries of the dealer who had this car and they told me the following.

The car i mentioned is a 2021 model, and apparently this 1664 is the latest software version. Yes it should have Android Auto Wireless (But does not), Yes it will need a software update, BUT because the car I looked at is a 16xx version software it can't have a 17xx version software update, as its not allowed (their words not mine, and no further explanation given) so rather curious as to your model year , build and spec etc etc. I was also told if you get a car with discover media, but NOT Media PRO then you will also not get wireless android auto either, all this info from the same dealer.. Really curious now, wondering whether to just cut my losses and get one of those alleged connection boxes that plugs into the usb c port and then gives you wireless android auto.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Most VW dealers are as confused as the Golf 8 Owners.
Wallop has a different SW control Unit 820D with 1788 that comes with AA wireless.
You have an 816B with version 1664 which does not have the software in place for AA wireless to work.
Latest version is 1668 and 167x is coming out soon, but they will only update it if your Vin of your Golf 8 has been added to the TPI.
Also VW will not replace the older 16xx control unit with the 17xx because then they would need to replace many other units in the car.
I found out that the 1788 also have maps on the dashboard display as well as directions from Google/Apple maps.
My car is build week 47 day 2 so for 5 days I would of had the upgraded Golf 8.:mad:

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I'm glad that Massimo knows the numbers from my car better than i do!:)
I've no idea what build week mine was but it was a factory order (ordered Oct) that i think was built in January after the factory's extended winter hols and i received it in March.It's a 1.5 eTSI Style.
I don't know if it affects which unit you get but i did opt for the uprated sound system but i'm sure the media unit is discover media it's not something i would have chosen to upgrade.
The software is still not perfect infact it seems to change from day to day.
I posted the other day about destinations being in German now i can't even find where that bit is.
Tidal which i use for streaming (the inbuilt one) would at first only list albums by title and there was no shuffle option.
So i gave up on it for a few weeks until a few days ago and gave it another try it worked perfect listings by artist and when you put it on full screen the shuffle option.
For the last 2 days i can't get it to go full screen when i touch the bit it's displayed in next to the map it now just goes back to the list view in the media player.