GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ye Olde Smoker Thread

Corprin

Autocross Champion
I really want to try a brisket. How big was that?

3lb.

did a dry rub/marinade for about 3hrs in the fridge. 185* “super smoke” till 160* internal temp, wrapped in butcher paper, temp to 300*, cooked till internal was 205*. Rested in its paper in a small ice chest for 30 min or so.

was amazing. Next time I’ll unwrap at 200* internal, spike the temp to 400* to quickly dry out the bark till 205* internal, then rewrap and rest before cutting.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
3lb.

did a dry rub/marinade for about 3hrs in the fridge. 185* “super smoke” till 160* internal temp, wrapped in butcher paper, temp to 300*, cooked till internal was 205*. Rested in its paper in a small ice chest for 30 min or so.

was amazing. Next time I’ll unwrap at 200* internal, spike the temp to 400* to quickly dry out the bark till 205* internal, then rewrap and rest before cutting.

Brisket seems complicated in comparison to other meats. 3 pounds seems reasonably enough to give a try

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Brisket seems complicated in comparison to other meats. 3 pounds seems reasonably enough to give a try

Yeah, I grab the smaller brisket cuts because small numbers to feed. One day I’ll do a packers cut brisket and go all in.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Did a 17 pound brisket yesterday, started at 0300 finishing at 1630. This is my second time cooking one and has become a 4th of July tradition. The Traeger makes it extremely easy to be fair but it came out amazing.

Trimmed the night before, rubbed it down and let sit for an hour before going on. Smoked at 185 till internal read 160. Wrapped in foil tightly with a can of beef broth and smoked at 225 till internal temp was 203. Pulled it and let it rest in a cooler with a towel for an hour before slicing against the grain. Sliced and chopped the multi directional grain end. Grave reviews from all.

Precook photo, no post cook but will next time.

20210704_031433.jpg

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
I've never done a brisket to that high an internal temp, or for that long. Especially just a 3 lb brisket, I think our normal one (special occasions, so we have to account for company) is around 7 or 8 lbs, but a small one for a normal evening would be kinda rad. Also, consider dry brining. You season with salt and whatever rub you're using, but let it rest in the fridge, uncovered, on a wire rack for better airflow, for 12-24 hrs. The seasonings sink in super deep.

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
I've never done a brisket to that high an internal temp, or for that long. Especially just a 3 lb brisket, I think our normal one (special occasions, so we have to account for company) is around 7 or 8 lbs, but a small one for a normal evening would be kinda rad. Also, consider dry brining. You season with salt and whatever rub you're using, but let it rest in the fridge, uncovered, on a wire rack for better airflow, for 12-24 hrs. The seasonings sink in super deep.
Get a lot of juices dripping with a 12-24 rub soak? I would think the salts sitting that long would begin leeching juices from the meet.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wanted to do a brisket last week, but they were all sold out at our somewhat local butcher. I settled and did two whole chickens (no photos), but they came out good.

Corprin

Autocross Champion

What do you cook brisket to?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Tri tip is the poor mans brisket and very easy to cook. Especially in a pellet grill.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Cut against the grain - you've done this a few times. Well played, sir. I'll smoke a few things this weekend and take some pics.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
I wanted to do a brisket last week, but they were all sold out at our somewhat local butcher. I settled and did two whole chickens (no photos), but they came out good.
You spatchcock them?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You spatchcock them?

I had the butcher cut both in half (I had to google what spatchcock meant lol).

Brined 12 hours, dried out 24 afterwards then injected a whole stick of butter and most of a bottle of Texas Pete.

Ran 275* in the smoker till they were almost done, then cranked it up for the last 20 minutes or so to crisp the skin. Honestly the best chickens I’ve done, and I didn’t even bother with a dry rub. I really prefer turkey as it’ll absorb a lot more flavor in my experience where chicken doesn’t.

I’d like to do a turkey in July, but can’t get the wife on board with that.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
I had the butcher cut both in half (I had to google what spatchcock meant lol).

Brined 12 hours, dried out 24 afterwards then injected a whole stick of butter and most of a bottle of Texas Pete.

Ran 275* in the smoker till they were almost done, then cranked it up for the last 20 minutes or so to crisp the skin. Honestly the best chickens I’ve done, and I didn’t even bother with a dry rub. I really prefer turkey as it’ll absorb a lot more flavor in my experience where chicken doesn’t.

I’d like to do a turkey in July, but can’t get the wife on board with that.
Exactly what your butcher probably did! It's just removing the backbone so it lays flat. Next time I'll try injecting butter... (everything is better with butter). I rub chickens with Kinders Master Salt and they come off the BGE after about an hour and 40 min or so.

I'm with your wife... Turkey in July!? Blasphemy :ROFLMAO: