GOLFMKV

Ye Olde Smoker Thread

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
460EE551-6288-4A3D-B405-DDC08F2B58AE.jpeg

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
All right boys,

What would you guys recommend as a good entry level smoker for someone looking to start doing this at home?
I've enjoyed my Traeger for a few years, now. Easy to use and clean, and the pellets come in many wood varieties and blends.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
All right boys,

What would you guys recommend as a good entry level smoker for someone looking to start doing this at home?

Depends on how much time and effort you want to put in.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion

Daks

Autocross Champion
All right boys,

Pellet grill is easiest and most fool proof. Downsides are that it needs to be plugged into an outlet (when it rains, snows etc.... you have to provision) and.... It's kinda boring (you set the temp and walk away), but it produces a good product.

From what I've seen on this forum, you strike me as a guy that likes to tinker with shit. Since that's the case, I'd get a kamado type of grill (https://broilkingbbq.com/en_ca/grills/keg_5000/ if budget is not an issue ball out for a green egg), it will take you several tries to get it right but it's the better way to do it, in my opinion. You also get the benefits of coal/chunks of wood, and no matter what anyone says, coal is best. You can also bring the temp up super high to sear steaks etc... It's more versatile. Pellet is a set it and forget it smoker - this takes more effort to get right, is more engaging and you feel a lot more accomplished after the cook is done.

If budget is an issue just grab a weber kettle and call it a day; you can do some nice indirect smoking on that as well.

That's from my experience

I have around 600+ hours on a pellet grill; 200+ hours in a pit; 500+ on a kettle; and around 200+ on a kamado.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Pellet grill is easiest and most fool proof. Downsides are that it needs to be plugged into an outlet (when it rains, snows etc.... you have to provision) and.... It's kinda boring (you set the temp and walk away), but it produces a good product.

From what I've seen on this forum, you strike me as a guy that likes to tinker with shit. Since that's the case, I'd get a kamado type of grill (https://broilkingbbq.com/en_ca/grills/keg_5000/ if budget is not an issue ball out for a green egg), it will take you several tries to get it right but it's the better way to do it, in my opinion. You also get the benefits of coal/chunks of wood, and no matter what anyone says, coal is best. You can also bring the temp up super high to sear steaks etc... It's more versatile. Pellet is a set it and forget it smoker - this takes more effort to get right, is more engaging and you feel a lot more accomplished after the cook is done.

If budget is an issue just grab a weber kettle and call it a day; you can do some nice indirect smoking on that as well.

That's from my experience

I have around 600+ hours on a pellet grill; 200+ hours in a pit; 500+ on a kettle; and around 200+ on a kamado.

Weber Kettle is a solid option. Also consider https://pitbarrelcooker.com/ This was the first smoker I had. Eventually the bottom rusted out. I was going to get a replacement, but instead went with a Kamado Joe Jr. to supplement my KJ Classic.