GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

You Can Keep Your Electric Vehicles

torga

Autocross Champion
What kinds of articles do you think were in the papers when gasoline cars replaced horses?
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

I'm excited for this electrification. Infrastructure is still a bit too early, imo. But once all that gets ironed out more, I'll almost certainly be looking at an EV as a daily.

1L19

Autocross Champion
I think electric cars are a loser to be honest. Batteries just don't seem to be the way to go. Even though it's expensive I'd hydrogen is the way forward. Cars operate like they do now, fill up, drive, fill up, drive more and there are zero emissions. Cracking hydrogen free from other elements is a pain and takes electricity but it will get cheaper just like we made advances in oil exploration.

At least I hope so...

torga

Autocross Champion
I think electric cars are a loser to be honest. Batteries just don't seem to be the way to go. Even though it's expensive I'd hydrogen is the way forward. Cars operate like they do now, fill up, drive, fill up, drive more and there are zero emissions. Cracking hydrogen free from other elements is a pain and takes electricity but it will get cheaper just like we made advances in oil exploration.

At least I hope so...
The same could be said for batteries. Plenty of breakthroughs happening all the time, for faster charging, better efficiency, etc. Most of the time, the only thing needed to develop an idea or concept is money and effort. We could've had reliable fusion power by the 70s or 80s, but governments didn't wanna fund it properly (and still don't), so it's continuously a dead-end.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion

At least I hope so...
I'd be all for it if it means more rotary engines.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...nkel-rotary-hydrogen-engine-works-mazda-rx-8/

1L19

Autocross Champion
The same could be said for batteries. Plenty of breakthroughs happening all the time, for faster charging, better efficiency, etc. Most of the time, the only thing needed to develop an idea or concept is money and effort. We could've had reliable fusion power by the 70s or 80s, but governments didn't wanna fund it properly (and still don't), so it's continuously a dead-end.
You are right things can be improved but in the end I'd think most folks want a car to work like a car. Charging and range are an issue and creating the batteries for the electric/hybrid cars has quite a negative impact on the environment. We don't know the future and tomorrow someone could figure out a car that runs on ice cubes but for now hydrogen seems like the best solution. Just an opinion. :)

torga

Autocross Champion
Yep, I get that. Charging rate right now is kind of untenable for a road trip. One could make the argument that you could have lunch while it charges, but so many times I just get off the highway only to refuel and then get right back on.
With new battery tech, charging the full battery could be reduced to 5-15 minutes -- I think that's an agreeable range.
We'll run into environmental impacts with any form of energy -- that's just something that needs to be figured out on a case-by-case basis. Solar/Wind is renewable energy, but panels and windmills still have to be made, precious metals extracted/processed, etc. However, if everything can be made to run on electric or hydrogen power, then at least fossil fuels aren't being burned anymore to do all of this production. That's a long way off.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion

At least I hope so...
I agree. Unfortunately the manufacturers don't seem interested.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
China.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

At least I hope so...

I really thought hydrogen would have been a better fit for replacing ICE, too, but with the way technology changes, I wouldn't count batteries out. The leaps in the last 30 years have been massive.