GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Your BEST picture

VDUBMkV///C

Intergalactic smugness

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Alright, this isn't mine but and old bud that was a USAF Boomer with me was at another base long ago. The guys who published this pic almost got kicked out of the Air Force.
This was supposed to go in a Base BX calendar they gave out at the door every X-mas. The wives on the base that were incharge of this project were very upset!

This photo was banned and almost the guys that took it.

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
It's over by the Maverick stop on the Blue line. A little park called Lo Presti Park. Took me 45 minutes to get there from BU last night, and I nearly got crushed by traffic from the Sox game on the way haha

Anyway, yeah I'd love to meet up and shoot. The photos I'm getting look great on my camera, and I'm confident in my shots when I pack up, but my skyline shots never seem to come out as sharp as I think they do. I'm shooting with a D7000 and that shot was with my 35mm 1.8 I believe. I think it was at f5.6 and 13 second shutter, iso 200.

Any pointers besides "get better glass?" lol and if you were to suggest better glass for a shot like this, what would it be? My 50 1.8 produced similar shots...would the 50 1.4 be that much better?

Does your lens have vibration reduction on it? If so, make sure it is turned off. Use a remote, and make sure your camera strap isnt slapping in the wind.

Lucidity

Marx
this may be a stupid question, but why turn it off?

Just a guess, but by the nature of the way it works, vibration reduction or image stabilization can probably actually cause the reverse when used in combination with a tripod, sense I doubt the lens knows you aren't using the camera handheld. So the mechanism is active while on the tripod, causing ever so slight vibration in the camera.

EDIT:
This is straight from Nikon's Knowledge Base

When using my VR lens on a tripod, do I keep the "VR" On or Off?

Answer

The Vibration Reduction technology built into some Nikon lenses or the COOLPIX 8800 can reduce or eliminate vibration during shooting. When the camera is on a tripod there will be very little (if any) movement so the question arises if VR should be used or not.

There are two techniques when using a camera/lens mounted on a tripod; keeping the pan/tilt head loose or fluid (when panning or moving with a subject) and keeping the pan/tilt head locked down and rigid while using a cable release (time exposures or for the new HDR techniques).

With the following lenses/cameras VR should be "Off" when the camera is mounted on a tripod and the pan/tilt head is locked down and using a cable release:

105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor
18-200mm f3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
24-120mm f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-200mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
80-400mm f4.5-5.6D ED VR AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
Coolpix 8800

With the following lenses/cameras VR should be "On" when the camera is mounted on a tripod and the pan/tilt head is loose (fluid) while using the cameras shutter release button:

105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor
18-200mm f3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
24-120mm f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-200mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
80-400mm f4.5-5.6D ED VR AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
Coolpix 8800

Nikon VR technology in the following lenses can detect minute vibrations that emanate from tripod legs. With the following lenses VR can be "On" when the camera is mounted on a tripod for either technique:

200-400mm f4G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
200mm f2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor
300mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor

For all lenses VR should be "On" when the camera/lens is used on a monopod

I'm assuming the last 3 lenses have the best technology and don't effect the camera enough to matter, probably due to their weight and length.

Lucidity

Marx
Wow...

apollosfury

designeddwk
^^ excellent pic quality

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
A Ferrari Night was held down at Hynes Convention Center up here in Boston tonight.

Later in the evening, a kid jumped with his BMX bike onto the hood of the above 458 italia and then took off. He left a crease in it. Some people just have no clue.

Last edited:

Moses

Go Kart Champion
AWESOME photos.

hey man one piece of advice crop right border in on this one a little bit to make it symmetrical. aside from that beautiful photos and editing.