GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Your GTI's rear headrests

pwalsh53

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you very much TeknoGroover, that's what I wanted.

So it seems with the plaid seats you get the more compact headrests. These are the ones I saw on my test drive.

I had an MK4 for 2 years and I can attest that the rear headrests blocked vision, which is why I removed the middle one permanently.

Thanks for the pics!

Patrick

mazda2vw

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
More Civic Si v. GTI

All I can say is that I owned the old Civic Si and I hated it. It rode like a pogo stick, and you had to rev the engine to 5500RPM to get anything out of it. Yes, it was fast, but you had to really work it out to get it to perform. Out of fairness, I haven't driven the new Civic Si, so I can't attest to its abilities. I recently drove a GTI, and it is WORLDS better than the old Si. Comfortable, fast, much more solid-feeling, and much better materials. I won't own the new Civic because it is too impractical for me. I want to have more than one passenger, and I like to be able to put my bike inside for security reasons...can't do that with the Civic SI. As far as reliability, I had a few problems with my Civic. In the end, I sold it because it was going to need thousands of dollars of work (despite my taking excellent care of it), and I just didn't think the car was worth it. Yes, the VW is a few thousand more, but it is a few thousand more car, too. It would be great if VW could get reliability up to Honda's perceived levels, but there is a lot more to loving a car than having it be reliable. Give me the GTI over the Si, any day:burnrubber: !

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
TeknoGroover said:

My leather seats come with the same headrest style as these ones. They aren't as bulky as the ones in the previous pix.

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
I still love my 1999 SiR - I will miss it. That said, it has had its share of problems, including:

- driver's window regulator, twice
- clutch squeak starting at 30K, still doing it at 170K in spite of replacing the clutch master cylinder once and the slave cylinder twice
- both rear bearings
- driver's door makes "ticking" noise when it is cold out - unable to repair
- HVAC fan squeaks intermittently since new - unable to repair
- intermittent rattle in headliner since new
- bad O2 sensor
- seized rear parking brake calipers
- front sway bar bushings

My wife's 2004 Accord is similarly a great car, but has needed the following in less than 2 years of ownership:

- airbag module recall
- replace several interior bulbs
- repair loose driver's seat
- headliner and door rattle
- repair misalinged trunk lid from factory
- replace centre armrest

When I look at these lists, and I read that most of the GTI owners have had no issues in their first few months, I have no qualms buying a 5-door GTI.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
My 99 civic did not have all the problems you two had. 120k miles and I always did all of the maintance myself like water pump, timing belt, oil, and plenty normal things. The clutch squeek was common on most civics and my window regulator had a broken tooth...easy thing to swap out for new. Other than that I hated to see it go when I traded it in. I miss it. Would I go back to it after having put 900 miles on the GTI? Are you crazy??? I plan on getting a Honda for my girls to drive for their first car, but no way I am giving up my GTI!!!

icbigotenks

Ready to race!
Heres my take

SRT-4 Unreliable, and boring... garbage interior
Civic - Reliable... yet still boring
GTI - Probrably less reliable then the other two, but this is a new generation of a car, its expected. And the fun factor with this car is amazing, I would take it over the other two any day of the week

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Wow! Another Cleveland area person. I may sound cheesy, but we're starting to pop up on this site like crazy.

commuter

Go Kart Newbie
Reliability? My experience with a 1999 CRV::frown:

a) New engine at 54,000km, severe piston slap, replaced under extended warranty
b) Rattle from door/left B pillar, could not be resolved after two repair attempts
c) Right front speaker not functioning following delivery
d) Brake pedal squeak
e) Right door lock malfunction, solenoid replaced
f) Right door lock malfunction again, connector corrosion
g) Intermittent headliner rattle
h) Low speed transmission clonk, not resolved
i) Intermittent alarm malfunction

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
the rear headrests on my GTI are also the same as the leather ones in the previous page of this thread, but with cloth instead of leather.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Don't remember what my headrests are like - they definitely don't get in the way of the mirror though. I'll try to take a pic at some point to show what the EU leathers are like.