GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

All those "issues" concerning the GTI Speedo.

Tricky

Autocross Newbie
loccusst said:
VW is working on a fix for this issue and would let me know as soon as one is out.

How hard can the fix be? I can "hack" my climate control and get almost dead perfect speed off of it. Just make it so my speedo goes off the same thing! :confused:

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
loccusst said:
Droped the car off this morning at the dealership for a few problems. One being the speedo issue. The head tech asked me how much it was off and then explained that VW knows the problem but because it is not a mechanical gear driven system there is no way as of yet to adjust the speedo. He then stated that VW is working on a fix for this issue and would let me know as soon as one is out. So at least they know about the issue.....on a new car just produced they should of already known the issue during testing.

So, now I'm confused.

This dealer doesn't think this is normal, but I have seen several people say that this is normal because of European laws.

Could this dealer provide official proof that VW is working on this?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Slowride, EU law says that the indicated speed can never be over actual speed, so manufacturers induce a negative tolerance of maybe 5-10% so that quite often the car is underreporting actual speed, but only by a few miles an hour (again, in my case, I'm underreporting by maybe 2-3mph at an indicated 80mph (130kmph, recommended autobahn speed)). Underreporting by 10mph at an indicated 70mph doesn't sound right at all, and is potentially hazardous.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
Do a search on European regulation ECE-R 39. Long story short, in Europe, speedos can't read slow and can read fast by up to 10% + 4 kmh. That said, most car companies manage to keep with a few percent of dead on. (see my earlier post) This law doesn't apply to trip computers which is why we can get accurate avg speed readings (and hopefully odometer readings) on the MFD.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
i can understand the theory of this underreporting... but an allowable tolerance of up to 10% is in my opinion unacceptable. With all the available technology available, why cant they just have it report 1% less. I know thats technically possible.

Please understand that I'm not trying to get anyone mad here.. I just was expecting more accuracy from such a fricken awesome car that caters to almost every need I have.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
So, does this apply to where the car is built or where the car company originates from?

For example. Honda built the last Si in Swindon, England. Did that car have to be regulated this way, where other Japanese or American built Honda cars did not?

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I think it has more to do with where the car will be sold. Cars built in the US heading to Europe have to comply with European regulations. I'd imagine the opposite is also true.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
the car has to comply with the regulations it is sold in.

Mexi Dubber

Passed Driver's Ed
Agree

Well, I have to say that this is not a new problem with German cars sold in North America. BMW's for a long time have had speedometers that are optimistic. My old E-30's have electronic speedometers. They are above the real speed by about only 4 per cent though. I agree that what some people are reporting hear in terms of overly optimistic speedometers is a little disturbing though.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
marcinek said:
Who cares. How often do you look at your speedo anyways? I've never gotten a ticket and I NEVER look at the speedo; i judge from my surroundings and look at the cars around me. Afterall, that's what you SHOULD be looking at, not some dumb dial on your dashboard.
Wow! I can't believe no one had something to say about this quote!:eek: :eek:
Brilliant...I digress.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I just ignored it.....

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
loccusst said:
Droped the car off this morning at the dealership for a few problems. One being the speedo issue. The head tech asked me how much it was off and then explained that VW knows the problem but because it is not a mechanical gear driven system there is no way as of yet to adjust the speedo. He then stated that VW is working on a fix for this issue and would let me know as soon as one is out. So at least they know about the issue.....on a new car just produced they should of already known the issue during testing.
I can rest easier knowing this now. It may be a while before they fix it, but at least they seem to no longer be giving us the run around.

VW_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to know a fix is coming.

My UK GTI over-reads by exactly 10% dead compared to GPS. It does get annoying but in the grand scheme of things....I don't really care.

And btw I paid the equivalent of $44k US for mine!