GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bogus fees from the dealers?

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I went to go test drive the GTI the other day and we sat down with the salesperson. We were given an offer of $700 over invoice plus a $367 port fee?!? It was explained to me that this was for the port inspections when the cars arrive from germany. What do you guys thinK?

Also on the topic of fees, I wasn't sure what the License part of TT&L was. Is this the fee to acquire the vehicle license plates?

Last edited:

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
trick000 said:
I went to go test drive the GTI the other day and we sat down with the salesperson. We were given an offer of $700 over invoice plus a $367 port fee?!? It was explained to me that this was for the port inspections when the cars arrive from germany. What do you guys thinK?

Also on the topic of fees, I wasn't sure what the License part of TT&L was. Is this the fee to acquire the vehicle license plates?

I paid the exact same port fee here in GA... You should get them to go $400.00 - $500.00 over invoice. That's what everyone is getting pretty much. Don't know about the license fees???

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6984#post6984

:headbang:

trick000

Dealership here in houston (VW of clearlake) gave me a $750-1000 over invoice price. Another dealership which is about 250 miles away gave me $200 over invoice price. So if that port fee is legit then that comes out to $567. I feel like going for a drive. :p

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Sounds totally bogus to me dude. First, call your local state office and ask how the taxes and registration fees are calculated for a new car.

Then, call VW customer service and ask them if there is such a thing as "port fee", and if so, confirm the amount. I'll bet that it's total BS.

I believe all shipping and customs related charges are included in the $630 destination charge from VW.

It seems that dealers around the country have renamed their bogus charges from "vehicle prepartion/undercoating/showroom inventory fee" to other crap like "port fees". :mad:

trick000

Well I just received a March Specials email from another dealership and they are offering the 2006 GTI with DSG for $300 below invoice. So I emailed them what I thought my OTD price would be ($23128). Of course I got an email back saying that the number I gave them was pretty close BUT there were other fees like showroom fee, advertising fee and a port fee ($25). Oddly enough these 3 totalled to $367. :p So basically with the -$300 march special and those 3 fees, the GTI is back up to $67 over the invoice price. :p

This is not bad at all but it's just funny how they try to deceive you.

So anyway.. after all the fees and TTL were added I sent them another OTD price of 23870. This is with the $331 satellite radio option.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
good luck there buddy, i got mine from clear lake VW, talk to Rejean @ 281-848-5500 tell him u spoke to alf, he can get u a $1000 rebate. also tell him about the price uve been quoted. his cell: 281-468-4025

alf

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It's BS. The only legit fees you should pay are tax, title, tags, and delivery. Anything else is just the dealer trying to tag on extra profit. Now they may or may not budge on it if you press them but if they tell you they are "required" then they're trying to screw you. On the other hand, I'd still consider buying the car if their profit was in the 3% over invoice range. That's a fair profit and I honestly don't care how they come to it. sell me the car at invoice and tag on some bogus fees or sell it to me at 3% over invoice with no BS fees. Of course they earn some respect by just being honest and not trying to to pull any crap. Unfortunately, it's the uninformed buyers who pay 3% over invoice, think they're getting a good deal and then pay an extra $3-500 because they think the fees are legit.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
Port fee is totally bogus--your dealer is smokin' crack.

License, tax, destination, and options are all you should be paying for.

Autobahner44

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I had an invoice deal, and got popped for $200 advertising fee, and some Floorplanning fee. I've been waiting for the GD car for over 2 months, so WTF, let 'em have it...
Anyone else get hosed on that? :barf:

trick000

Well as of right now, I am officially dealing with 15 separate dealerships. Here are some more bogus fees that they have presented me with: Dealer's Tax, State inspection, Doc fee, and deputy fee. I guess the deputy fee is protection money just in case the mafia decides to rob them. This is from Archer VW in houston.

Also, whoevers thinking of dealing with the internet department at Rusty Wallis in Garland, TX, be careful. They will give you the run around. They started me with $200 over invoice. After a few emails, they told me $300 below invoice and finally ended up with $23800 + TTL for a package 0 with DSG after about 10 emails sent back and forth. Thats about $25.5 for a package 0!?! I dunno. They must be using some kinda hacked version of MS Excel or something cuz their numbers are incredible.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I am one who has always bitched about paying for transportation. I can see if you order the car or they have to get the car from another dealer. I am a customer...I did not ask you to transport the car here so you could sell it to me. You did that on your own as a dealer before you ever met me in hopes that I might come along and buy the car from you. The waitress does not charge a transportation fee to transport your coffe from the pot to the mug on the table. The grocer does not do the same with the apples he has on sale. He has the apples shipped in, in hopes that someone will buy them. He buys the apples at cost, marks them up, and hopes he can make a profit. The dealership is meerly passing on the fee from VW to us the consumer. It is about time it stops.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I agree with you in theory but the deliver fee is a real fee that the dealer pays. The grocery store pays for transportation of the produce and then passes that cost along to you in the price you pay. The dealer is doing the same thing but they are specifically stating the fee they paid. Sure, they could just not disclose the delivery fee and maket sure to negotiate a good enough selling price with you to cover it...which is basically what the grocery store does. So I guess your issue is really the fact that you see the $600 as an addition on the bill of sale. The alternative would be for you to buy whatever car you want from the dealer, not pay the delivery fee and then fogure out how to get it from the factory on your own. Check into what it costs to ship a car from NA to Eurpoe and I think you'll find the $600 delivery fee is a deal :)

loccusst said:
I am one who has always bitched about paying for transportation. I can see if you order the car or they have to get the car from another dealer. I am a customer...I did not ask you to transport the car here so you could sell it to me. You did that on your own as a dealer before you ever met me in hopes that I might come along and buy the car from you. The waitress does not charge a transportation fee to transport your coffe from the pot to the mug on the table. The grocer does not do the same with the apples he has on sale. He has the apples shipped in, in hopes that someone will buy them. He buys the apples at cost, marks them up, and hopes he can make a profit. The dealership is meerly passing on the fee from VW to us the consumer. It is about time it stops.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
A41.8QTM said:
I agree with you in theory but the deliver fee is a real fee that the dealer pays. The grocery store pays for transportation of the produce and then passes that cost along to you in the price you pay. The dealer is doing the same thing but they are specifically stating the fee they paid. Sure, they could just not disclose the delivery fee and maket sure to negotiate a good enough selling price with you to cover it...which is basically what the grocery store does. So I guess your issue is really the fact that you see the $600 as an addition on the bill of sale. The alternative would be for you to buy whatever car you want from the dealer, not pay the delivery fee and then fogure out how to get it from the factory on your own. Check into what it costs to ship a car from NA to Eurpoe and I think you'll find the $600 delivery fee is a deal :)

Your talking about the "Destination Charge" right? That's a real fee.