GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top speeds...

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
kirk180 said:
I don't believe in the VW break in recommendations. But that's a whole different debate. I have my reasons for this. Seems a few other riders here know what I'm talking about.

As for 140 mph....I thought the GTI only went 130? Is the speedo that inaccurate? I wouldn't be surprised at that speed if it was off by 10 mph.

Fair enough about the breakin bit, was just saying what VW recommend... what I did when I first got the car wasn't quite as much as you, but definitely not recommended :wink:
US GTIs I understand are limited to 130mph. UK GTIs are limited to 147mph and I've gone above this (check the max speed thread). This was after about 20-25k miles though (I'm at 27k now!).
The engine in your car will open significantly after about 1600-2000miles, from my experience. Around this point you'll have no trouble going right up to max, should you wish to. It gets smoother with more miles done.

gti mkv

Ready to race!
in the books they say the MKV top speed is 130, but the actual top speed is 142 before the limiter kicks in.

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
The most I have seen on my speedo was 260kmh :eek: (or162mph), this was downhill with a slight tailwind

I live at sea level and on a straight road and flat out the speedo shows just over 235kmh(or 146mph) :laugh:

dmclone

Oval Champion
gti mkv said:
in the books they say the MKV top speed is 130, but the actual top speed is 142 before the limiter kicks in.

As discussed in other threads the speedometer is way off the faster you go. Mine will say 90 when I'm only going 82 and it seems to get worse the faster you go.

It's weird for me to set the cruise at 90-95.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
I got it to 130 and it was still pulling. I just had to slow down for cars ahead.

Then again, 130 is probably about 115 :redface:

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
220km/h soo far and this message will self destruct in 1min and I will deny all knowledge of ever posting this or even driving a GTI if questioned :biggrin:

In on 3,900km so far btw.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
i took mine to 140mph according to the speedo with only 200 miles on the odometer. #1 the speedo cant be that off cause i sure as hell felt like 140(ive been there many times) #2 the hardest running engines are the ones that go through a hard break in (its been proven several times WITH PICTURES)

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
icbigotenks said:
LOL on the third day, have fun when your having engine trouble way earlier then you should.
No way!! Learn about fast break ins and then we can talk. I have done this with my previous two cars and 2 motorcycles without any problems. But then again, you probably don't know what I'm talking about.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
fast break ins secure the piston rings better, extends engine life and can produce up to 10% more power than slow break ins if done right