GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H & R cup kit installed

GTT

Touring Car Champion
frank2287 said:
I like the H&R cup kit looks clean and will definitly be effective in the turns. But you said you really dont feel it being that much stiffer???

There's a difference between ride compliance and firmness/stiffness and handling response.
Yes, an aftermarket setup can actually ride the same or BETTER than stock while still offering flatter cornering and better wheel control keeping the rubber in contact with the road better.

So far the ride seems to be exceptional according to the review while offering a lower center of gavity, which automatically improves handling, as well as better dampers.

A "stiff" or "firm" suspension is NOT necessarily synonomous with better handling.
A properly designed and calibrated daily driver setup should yield an exceptionally compliant ride with better controlled cornering.

T

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Any better pictures?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
How about an update? Interested to see if the car has "settled" at all. I'm really digging the looks of the original pics but wouldn't want to go any lower.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
GTT said:
There's a difference between ride compliance and firmness/stiffness and handling response....
A "stiff" or "firm" suspension is NOT necessarily synonomous with better handling.
A properly designed and calibrated daily driver setup should yield an exceptionally compliant ride with better controlled cornering. -T

Well said.

Case in point: the Miata's stock suspension. While not super stiff, it offers excellent handling, incredible predictability, but a liveable compliant ride. On the track it can out-corner many many sports cars that have much stiffer ride.

Suspension tuning is all about the whole system (springs, shocks, wheels and chasis) working together in harmony---finding this balance is not done by simply slapping together some stiff shocks & springs.

BTW, many aftermarket manufacturers spend more money on marketing and promotion than on tuning and testing in the development of their products. Becareful.

Tricky

Autocross Newbie
I too would like an update since these have settled. I'm very interesting in getting the cup kit since I'm not the richest man on earth.

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
cmcm said:
According to H&R, the cup kit will drop the car up to 2 inches, well I think it all depends the wgt of the cars. by looking at the pictures, the kit drops my MKV about 1.5 - 1.7 inches at the front, shd be around 1" at rear.

Keep in mind that the US spec suspension is 0.5 inch higher.
So the advertised drops of front 2.2 inches and rear 1.6 inches become front 1.7 inches and rear 1.1 rear which is exactly what you have. :smile:

revaudi

Oval Newbie
Actually, they are two cup kits for gti/a3 available:
The Cup Kit, which lowers 2.2/1.6" front/rear. part #31043-2
The Touring Cup Kit which lowers 1.3/1.3 front/rear. part #31043T-2
I guarantee this is the touring kit; I ordered this earlier today.
Take a look at others that have the sport springs installed. Also, the regular Cup Kit has a good rake to it; there is very little here.

H&R specs are based off stock US spec vehicles. A 2.2" drop is a 2.2" drop from stock. Not sure on your math computations unless the OP has a Euro GTI or unavailable Euro GTI springs.

Anyhow, that is exactly the look I am going for on my BMP. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
I'm confused. . . .
Because with my calculations, the before and after numbers are similar.
While using your numbers of
Front 1.3 -->actual 1.7
Rear 1.3 -->actual 1
Is this going to 'settle' approx 0.4 on both axles?

revaudi

Oval Newbie
I think the OP just ballparked the numbers from the photo. I would like to know for certain which kit this is.

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4&page=2
If you look at this thread and see the H&R sport w/Bilsteins and then the Cup Kit , the drop is almost identical. On the preceding thread page, there are race springs on a 5 door and it is significantly lower.

revaudi

Oval Newbie
http://www.parts4vws.com
$645 is by far the best price I found.
The place installing these actually uses parts4vws as a supplier so he is ordered them for me and just giving me the same price. Saves me the legwork.

revaudi

Oval Newbie
You got a killer price.
Wish that picture of the A3 on the Evo site was a better profile instead of the 3/4 fashion shot. Want to see the gap, not the car.
Mine should be getting installed next week, as long as the parts arrive. I actually didn't know they had a touring kit until a few days ago. I was going to do the bilstein and H&R springs but this is cheaper and supposedly "matched".