GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Noob

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I finally got my Tornado Red GTI with DSG today! It's one of the best feelings ever especially after driving a Honda civic.

Earlier this afternoon, I had to put gas on my GTI. Of course, having driven only honda cars, I assumed the gas receptacle would be on the drivers side. I must've looked stupid when I got out and then got back in cuz I couldnt find it on that side :p. After I finally maneuvered the car to face the right way, I got out and suddenly realized I didn't know how to open the gas door. :p I went back in and had to read the manual again. Man I'm such a noob. But a happy noob nonetheless.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Congrats on the car!

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
trick000 said:
I assumed the gas receptacle would be on the drivers side.

Placing the filler on the driver's side is unsafe and most, if not all, European countries only design the filler on the safe side of the car.

The safe side of the car places the filler on the side away from opposing traffic so that the filler will no be easily sheared off in the most likely type of accident at speed.

However, I think the RHD versions of a LHD designed car have to live with the less safe position. I don't think VW moves the filler to the left on RHD versions.

Last edited:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Scotaku said:
Wha? Safe side? Most European marques put the filler on the right because they drive on the left. Don't you see American makes with the filler on the left because they drive on the right? Snot Rocket Science.

What Europe are you taking about? Most Europeans drive on the right, just like the USA.

The UK, Japan, Hong Kong, and Australia are the only major places that drive on the left. None of these are in traditional Europe (well, UK is close)

Some USA cars have the fillers on the left, but that is not safe. I think they do it to be more convenient for the driver when getting out to gas up. Stupid reason, but nobody ever said the USA manufactures where smart.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
NorthGTI said:
What Europe are you taking about? Europeans drive on the right, just like the USA.

The UK, Japan, Hong Kong, and Australia are the only major places that drive on the left. None of these are in Europe (well, UK is close)

Some USA cars have the fillers on the left, but that is not safe. I think they do it to be more convenient for the driver when getting out to gas up. Stupid reason, but nobody ever said the USA manufactures where smart.

LOL...I take it you mean mainland Europe....the UK and Ireland are indeed part of Europe mr :thumbsup:

cmdrfire

NorthGTI said:
However, I think the RHD versions of a LHD designed car have to live with the less safe postion. I don't think VW moves the filler to the left on RHD versions.

No, they don't, stays on the same side. Most cars here though have the filler on the right though because they're EU/US cars been adapted for RHD...

and Scotaku, read some books about Europe. The whole reason the US drives on the right is because France drives on the right (same reason the rest of Continental EU drives on right, because of Mssr Napoleon's Pax Francophone nonsense...). France adopted the right to break all ties with the old monarchial, erm, monarchy, that was there before the Republic (which drove on the left, which came from Britain...).

bilbos

On the Kop
cmdrfire said:
No, they don't, stays on the same side. Most cars here though have the filler on the right though because they're EU/US cars been adapted for RHD...

and Scotaku, read some books about Europe. The whole reason the US drives on the right is because France drives on the right (same reason the rest of Continental EU drives on right, because of Mssr Napoleon's Pax Francophone nonsense...). France adopted the right to break all ties with the old monarchial, erm, monarchy, that was there before the Republic (which drove on the left, which came from Britain...).

Nicely put. That damn Napoleon has got a lot of things to answer for.

newtogolf

i am in the UK. my golf is RHD (obviously) and we drive on the left hand side of the road.

i can also say my golf has its petrol filler on the driver side.

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
trick000 said:
I finally got my Tornado Red GTI with DSG today! It's one of the best feelings ever especially after driving a Honda civic.

Earlier this afternoon, I had to put gas on my GTI. Of course, having driven only honda cars, I assumed the gas receptacle would be on the drivers side. I must've looked stupid when I got out and then got back in cuz I couldnt find it on that side :p. After I finally maneuvered the car to face the right way, I got out and suddenly realized I didn't know how to open the gas door. :p I went back in and had to read the manual again. Man I'm such a noob. But a happy noob nonetheless.
welcome to the RED side brotha congrats

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
congrats man:thumbsup: and enjoy driving the GTI

trick000 said:

:bellyroll: