GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brakes

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
I've realized that the brakes on the stock gti are pritty big.
Has anyone seen anyone seen any other brakes that we can put on this car?
I want to go to Road America and i was curiouse if these brakes could hold up with obviously changing the pads, fluid, and lines.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Are you talking about just changing the pads. Because the size of these is Huge. I would like some braided ss lines.

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
You should be okay; I run 312mm rotors up front on my B5 Passat (originally 288mm rotors), and my rear rotors are smaller than the MkV GTI's -- generally no problems (and I've done about ten or eleven track days in the car), though I have experienced fade once or twice after really beating on the brakes. And my Passat is quite a few hundred pounds heavier than the GTI, methinks.

budgy

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the Rotors are massive for a car of this size, changing pads/lines/fluid would probably be more than enough help. Unless you did lots of very hard high speed braking i dont see the stock rotors overheating.

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
well the track has to turns that are heavy brakeing from about 120MPH there is about a 1 mile straight away it is a proffesional track so i mean its a big deal because hitting somthing at those speeds isnt pritty even though it wont be my first time on a track b/c i raced my mini a lot but it wasnt capable of what my car will be able to do.

Thanks guys

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Wow.... that is one loooooong sentence. JK
Change out the brake lines to braided SS and you will notice a big differance. You could also go with some Hawk brake pads.

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
ok i have a question for you guys maybe you can help me. I have a big brake kit from my mini S which are willwood 4 piston brakes but there a 4 lug setup. Could i keep the calipers and end up buying rotors that would fit them?? Or maybe is there a way to change the 4 lug into a five lug any how ???

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
frank2287 said:
I've realized that the brakes on the stock gti are pritty big.
Has anyone seen anyone seen any other brakes that we can put on this car?
I want to go to Road America and i was curiouse if these brakes could hold up with obviously changing the pads, fluid, and lines.

I hope you have "bedded in" your brakes real good before an event like that.

Hawk brake pads are an excellent choice BTW.

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
frank2287 said:
I have a big brake kit from my mini S which are willwood 4 piston brakes but there a 4 lug setup. Could i keep the calipers and end up buying rotors that would fit them?? Or maybe is there a way to change the 4 lug into a five lug any how ???
You could probably keep the stock rotor, but you'll need to have a custom caliper carrier manufactured/machined. Doubt that Wilwood or any of the other tuners have something already made for the GTI.

Like I said, though, you probably won't need it. I've driven courses as fast as Pocono Long Course (hit 122MPH indicated on the back straight in my really heavy and underpowered Passat 4MOTION) and as twisty as NHIS, and my 312mm front rotors (same as the MkV GTI) with Hawk HP+ pads held up pretty good. I did fade out the pads at NHIS back in OCT 2004 (and scared myself pretty good lookin' at that gravel trap comin' up fast on me), but that was because the pads were pretty worn down; got a brand-new set of pads in for two days at Watkins Glen, and I was fine.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
I don't race,.....that much, so just some good pads(hawk hps) will do me fine.