GOLFMKV

What wheels are these?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
heavy ones; anything with a lip that big simply isnt designed for a 200 hp car. when you see huge lipped wide wheels on 400+ hp 350z's or porsches, it's a different story. We need to stick with wheels under 20lbs.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
That's a Photoshop, though I don't know what wheels they are.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
tstalion79 said:
heavy ones; anything with a lip that big simply isnt designed for a 200 hp car. when you see huge lipped wide wheels on 400+ hp 350z's or porsches, it's a different story. We need to stick with wheels under 20lbs.
Why? Will the car explode if you install heavy wheels on it? :iono:

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
the_saint said:
Why? Will the car explode if you install heavy wheels on it? :iono:

No, it's very unlikely that it will explode. Having big, moderately heavy wheels will make the car quite sluggish though. Unsprung weight is a huge factor in moderately low-powered cars (under 250 hp). Try driving a GTI with 19's and a GTI with light 17's back to back. You will see a big difference.

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
erick.s said:
That's a Photoshop, though I don't know what wheels they are.

How do you know it's been Photoshopped?

erick.s

Autocross Champion
Wild Hare said:
How do you know it's been Photoshopped?

I'm a Graphic Designer - I can spot other people's work:biggrin: . The shadows are not quite right and the wheels look a bit blurrier than the rest of the car. That black stripe is also shopped onto the car as is the badgeless grill. I'm pretty sure the drop is shopped too. Whoever did it did an excellent job though - that's pro-quality work.

EDIT: A quick search on Vortex turned up the "unmodified" car - a guy with the username "RoadEnemy" did the Photoshop work. Here's the original:

revaudi

Oval Newbie
tstalion79 said:

The GTI stock 17s come in at lat east 25lbs. That wheel in 18s would probably be between 26-28lbs.
Not a large selection of wheels under 20lbs in 18s unless you do Volks. You are not going to notice a difference between 25 & 26lb wheels.

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
incorrect. 18" wheels have more mass further from the hub, and 18" tires are substantially heavier than 17" tires.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
true but the 18" Factory Hufweisen wheels are made with a hollow spoke design to lighten the weight towards the outer edge of the wheels.

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
erick.s said:
I'm a Graphic Designer - I can spot other people's work:biggrin: . The shadows are not quite right and the wheels look a bit blurrier than the rest of the car. That black stripe is also shopped onto the car as is the badgeless grill. I'm pretty sure the drop is shopped too. Whoever did it did an excellent job though - that's pro-quality work.

EDIT: A quick search on Vortex turned up the "unmodified" car - a guy with the username "RoadEnemy" did the Photoshop work. Here's the original:

Wow, you the man! And what I wouldn't give for a job like yours!

erick.s

Autocross Champion
Wild Hare said:
Wow, you the man! And what I wouldn't give for a job like yours!

Thanks - I try to be helpful when I can.

roadenemy

Go Kart Champion
It is indeed, without question, a photoshop, and not even I can answer the "what wheels are these" questions as I myself have no idea.

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
" I come before you, to stand behind you, to tell you something I know nothing about."

Exactly!

roadenemy

Go Kart Champion
Wild Hare said:
" I come before you, to stand behind you, to tell you something I know nothing about."

Exactly!

Now I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a smart-assed response or not, but as the one who actually did the photoshop I thought i would clarify that i was not aware of the wheels that I used on said photoshop.