GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY-Front License Plate Holder On a GTI

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Made Changes to fix Air Flow problem. Only difference is that when you connect the plate holders to the plate. Connect it to the bottom holes not the top.

I thought that maybe it would be beneficial to see the design on a GTI. I hope yall don't count this as a repost. :)

Cheap and Easy DIY- Front License Plate Holder

2- ¼” -20 x 4” Round Head Bolts
4- Big Washers
4- 5/16” x 1-1/2” Neopren Rubber Washers
6- ¼ Nuts

It has always pained me to drill into the bumper to mount the front license plate, and the police officers in my area are horrible at writing you tickets for it. So I used a similar design to ones that I have seen to make mine.

Taking off the Bottom Plastic Piece
First you need all the items above, and a Allen Wrench (number 4 on mine). You probably have one around in a set. So it is one of those. Anyway, now you need to pull your car out and look underneath your front end, and you will see these.

Unscrew all of these and set them to the side.

Now there are 2 in each fender-well that you will need to take out.
Once you have taken these out you will need to pull of the plastic bottom. Now don’t start pulling, you need to push down on the plastic tab that you seen in the fender well. Once the plastic tab is unsnapped, start pulling starting from the side. It will seem like it is not going to budge, but just apply a little force and be patient.

Layout of Mount
The layout is simple. It is, Bolt, then License Plate, Nut, Gap (as much as you want), Nut, Washer, Rubber Washer, Honey Comb Bumper, Rubber Washer, Washer, then Nut.

Now putting the plastic piece back on is a hassle. It took me a lot longer to put that thing back on as it did to put the whole thing together.
Now I would suggest trying to get someone to help you hold it up, but I think that it could be done by one person fairly easily. I would suggest starting in the middle. Try aligning everything up and start pushing the tabs back in. It is very aggravating and took me a while to get them all in, but they will all go in. Now I must tell you all that putting the pieces back together is always the hard part for me, maybe I just suck at it.

Conclusion
It is not a complex design. I have been using it for a couple months and it has worked great. I even took it through a no touch car wash. It is brutal in there, but it didn't budge. I figure if it can make it through that, not much could hurt it.
In the picture mine is pretty close to the bumper, but you can adjust it as you please.

Last edited:

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
that looks good man. unfortunately, the dealer have drilled holes on ours.

Texas_MkV said:
Yeah mine is going to the dealer tommorrow, and I better not see any holes.
Why would they drill holes now? That makes no sense.

Dude123

Oval Champion
Mine has no holes! That looks kind of goofy because its sticking out. o_O

Texas_MkV

TeknoGroover said:
Why would they drill holes now? That makes no sense.

I apologize I didn't explain. That was a test fit. The liscense plate was from a different car. I had to take it off, and my car was at the dealers today. I was afraid that they would take it upon themselves to go ahead and put my plates on while it was there. Luckily they did not. So tomorrow, I am going to put it all back on with my new plates.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
h82bslo said:

Always specify on the order that the front plate bracket not to be mounted. That way, if it is, you can reject the car and have them reorder a clean one.

I usually request a "off truck" inspection prior to delivery prep. That way I can retrieve the bracket from the car's trunk to keep away from the dealer's prep guy.

Texas_MkV

Scotaku said:
That is a very elegant solution, Texas MkV. It's very close to how I intend to mount my plate to comply with my state requirements for it. I appreciate your solution and will draw inspiration from it when my plates arrive. Keep an eye on those rubber washers because they will eventually break down exposed to the elements.

I appreciate it. I do agree with the Rubber Washer problem, especially here in Texas. I am still trying to come up with a better solution, but have not had one yet. It is really difficult to take the plate off and on, hopefully I can come up with something easier. Until then, this is going to have to do. :thumbsup:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
h82bslo said:
I took mine back and my dealer has ordered me a new one to replace the one with holes in it for free.