GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

vs STI on closed track.

plac

GTI Master
I raced an STI tonight. (on a closed course track.)

First time I've ever seen a STI actually race. I was surprised at how long I kept up. I have the DSG tranny, car is bone stock. We were toe to toe from the tracks stoplight, thru 1rst and all the way thru 2nd. He couldnt pull me more than a 1/2 car. In 3rd he really took off, and thats when i knew i was beat. His 3rd looked incredible. I know he was indeed racing, as I teased him at an earlier track light and he wanted to get revenge. I caught up to him after he was gone in 3rd, and gave him a thumbs up. He had a $hit eating grin on his face FTW. It was as much of a rush to see an STi actually move at full speed, as it was for me testing my GTI. When I have more track time, I'd like to keep in it thru 3rd and see what happens.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
wrx sti, he was playing with u, the way he took off in 3rd he can do the same in 1st and 2nd

GTI689

Oval Champion
tydale3 said:
whats an STI??

If that was a real question and not a joke.. its a Subaru WRX STI 300hp AWD 4cyl turbocharged engine 0-60 in like 4.3 sec's

if that was a joke then oh well i just wanted to increase my number of posts lol

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Amier said:
If that was a real question and not a joke.. its a Subaru WRX STI 300hp AWD 4cyl turbocharged engine 0-60 in like 4.3 sec's

if that was a joke then oh well i just wanted to increase my number of posts lol

More like 5.5 (5.0 with a really great driver)...

if it were that fast he would have never been near him on the track at all. 4.3 is a Z06 Vette not a Subie!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
plac said:
I raced an STI tonight. (on a closed course track.)

First time I've ever seen a STI actually race. I was surprised at how long I kept up. I have the DSG tranny, car is bone stock. We were toe to toe from the tracks stoplight, thru 1rst and all the way thru 2nd. He couldnt pull me more than a 1/2 car. In 3rd he really took off, and thats when i knew i was beat. His 3rd looked incredible. I know he was indeed racing, as I teased him at an earlier track light and he wanted to get revenge. I caught up to him after he was gone in 3rd, and gave him a thumbs up. He had a $hit eating grin on his face FTW. It was as much of a rush to see an STi actually move at full speed, as it was for me testing my GTI. When I have more track time, I'd like to keep in it thru 3rd and see what happens.

Once you get more track time with your car, you'll get closer. Hard to beat AWD vs FWD... it's a major advantage in the turns and exiting the Apex.

GTI689

Oval Champion
sorry 5.3 secs not 4.3 somthing liek that....

tstalion79

Autocross Newbie
Wild Hare said:
More like 5.5 (5.0 with a really great driver)...

if it were that fast he would have never been near him on the track at all. 4.3 is a Z06 Vette not a Subie!

No, 4.8's can be had in a stock sti. As for the really great driver part, that just isnt true. It's an all wheel drive car. With the STI you simply rev it to 5k, drop the clutch and floor it. And there is only one shift you need to time well before you are going 60.

HydroGTI

Drag Race Newbie
yea those STI's are really fast, but atleast you had fun

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Hey Wildhare, the STI has been labelled a sub 5 car in every major mag review I have ever seen and should run neck and neck with the new vette.

VDUB725

Ready to race!
Teknophreak said:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=592&page_number=2
An STi will do sub-5 sec 0-60. They had a segment on Top Gear where a stock Evo turned better lap times than a Lambo Murcielago. Really impressive - too bad it's an ugly little box. (IMHO)
A friend of mine has a WRX, which I can keep up with. The STi may have been playing, but at least you have a radio, AC, comfy seats..............

Since I'm a Top Gear nut and have every episode on my comp I can tell you that the Lancer Evo that was keeping up with the Lambo was not the 280 something HP one we get here in the states. I know it was over 300 hp and I think it might have been closer to 400 hp. Don't quote me on that. All I know is it was done up from the factory.

Anyway, having the DSG makes up for any driver error so if the STI driver was a mediocre driver then I believe it. Had this been a stock GTI 6-speed vs a STI then it woulda been ugly.

A DSG with a Chip would be a very good match for an STI (from a rolling start) and I keep thinking I want the performance the DSG offers but all this nonsense about upgrading a car with DSG and it not being able to handle the power makes me so skeptical!

plac

GTI Master
but if i was chipped, i'd have spun the whole time and lost even worse..

does this forum lock street racing threads btw?

Last edited:

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
according to SCCA STi is an A class car and gti is E class, SRT-4 is D class