GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions for those who have done springs...

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
1. How long did it take you? Did you use a lift?

2. Did you need the special tools required? If not, what did you use in place of them?

3. Did you remove the CV's?

4. Did you hit any snags?

Just trying to get some info before I get started. Thanks! :smile:

burro

Ready to race!
1. I did mine in just under 2 hours, with a lift.
2. The only special tool I used was a strut spreader to separate the strut from the wheel bearing housing.
3. Yes, I removed both axles. I have heard it's possible to do it with only removing one, but it's pretty simple to pull them both.
4. No snags here.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Pics?

burro

Ready to race!
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the install as there are already at least 2 DIY threads with pics.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
1. How long did it take you? Did you use a lift?
3 1/2 hours taking time with hand tools, 75% solo, on a shop lift.

2. Did you need the special tools required? If not, what did you use in place of them?
Spring compressor to reassemble the struts.
Triple square socket assortment.
Strut carrier spreader tool.

3. Did you remove the CV's?
No, but it takes some wiggling and some tricky movements to get the struts out without doing so.

4. Did you hit any snags?
Getting the stock struts out without doing the axles took the bulk of the time, other than that the job is cake. We managed to articulate the steering and put the right amount of muscle into wiggling the struts out of the carriers to get them out. It required putting some downward pressure on the lower a-arm(no risk of damage to CV joint, boots, or axle-triple checked to be sure), while dead blowing the carrier down off of the strut, and while manipultaing the strut around in the wheel well.
For more clearance the lower a-arm/carrier bolts(3) can be undone for more flexibility.

Once again, I took my time and was sure to NOT damage anything during this strut removal. The work was done by myself with the help and input of Audi techs who have done this work on several Audi A3's(same suspension).

Good luck!
:thumbsup:

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
I think it a job not every one can do, special tools may need to do this job, like the spring compressor and many other things, but If you have the skills and the tools, Its a nice weekend job¡¡¡¡¡

Ricardo

andrewt

Autocross Champion
i know people have already answered your question, but i just wanted to chime in...you'll NEED a 14mm triple square socket. its not exactly a common tool, but its not impossible to find it in stores. just call around. i've heard napa carries them. if not, i ordered mine from www.zdmak.com. great site, great customer service.

other than that, its possible to do the job without a strut spreader, but i would highly recommend spending the $15 to get one, it just simplifies the process, unless you have a grinder in your garage. you can make one by grinding two sides of an allen wrench flat.

of course, you'll need a spring compressor. i rented mine from autozone. they have a loan a tool program where you pay for the tool (spring compressors are $40), and when you return it, they give you back your money. unless you feel like investing in a set of them, i would highly recommend going that route.

i also removed the driveshafts on both sides. its not that much trouble, and it makes taking out the stock strut SO much simpler. other people's milage has varied, so if you can figure out how to do it without taking out the driveshafts, you > me. :biggrin:

andrewt

Autocross Champion
hey one thing i forgot, and that no one's mentioned either is if you want to remove the driveshafts, you'll need a 27mm socket. depending on how complete your socket set is, you may or may not have that already.

all the other socket sizes are fairly common. off the top of my head, 13, 16, 17, 18, 22, and probably some others i forgot. my rinky dink $75 socket set had all the sizes except the 27. i had to borrow that from my dad's kickass (read: $$$) set.

there's also a special tool for getting the top mount bolt off, but some creative ingenuity or an impact wrench can do that. basically, you'll need a wrench and an allen wrench, and some extra hands. i'm sure you'll figure out what i'm talking about once you see it.

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
Well I have the grinder to make the spreader tool, I have 2 sets of compressors, and I have impacts and such. No lift, but a couple nice jacks. Looks like I need that one odd socket and I'm golden. thanks again guys! :thumbsup:

koreaniverson

Autocross Champion
just drop the car off at a respectable shop for a few hours and go home and bang your girl or girls once or twice and go pick up the sweet ride sitting a couple of inches lower... holla1

Benzdoc

Passed Driver's Ed
What are the torque specs.

Waht are the torque specs for the axel nuts and all of the other bolts removed and replaced during this install. Any help would be great. I drop mine this weekend with H&R sports.
Photos to follow.
:bow: