GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autoweek's take

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Probably already been seen or posted, but I thought I'd post it up. I especially like the part about the ongoing DSG vs manual debate......

It was worth the wait. The impressive direct-injection I4 produces 200 hp and 207 lb-ft of torque from 1800 to 5000 rpm. That powerband makes third gear appropriate for a variety of situations, and winding out the engine is a joy. VW says to expect a 0-to-60-mph time of 6.9 seconds, a couple of tenths quicker than GLI and the same as A3.

A six-speed manual transmission is standard, while the dual-clutch DSG system is optional. DSG is trick, but its perfect gearshifts are too boring for a car this involving. It seems a shame to dilute your experience by going the no-clutch pedal route, even if DSG shifts faster than you can.

The fifth-generation GTI has lively reflexes and a touch of old-school character—the car is again worthy of its badge—missing in the previous version. This is VW’s sharpest handler, due to stiffer springs and shocks, and larger anti-roll bars than used on the standard Golf. U.S. cars don’t get the European version’s “short” springs; it sits 15 millimeters higher thanks to U.S. bumper-height requirements. This also provides more give on imperfect American roads. Still, the ride remains Euro-stiff, if not downright harsh. The upshot: GTI’s dynamic behavior is improved; suspension tuning and quicker steering allow the car to turn in more sharply than the old car, and it carves a faster line before suffering from speed-killing understeer.

Other differences between U.S. and European GTIs come down to standard equipment, including an upgraded stereo and xenon headlights. Options include satellite radio, sunroof, sport seats and

18-inch “phone-dial” wheels—straight out of 1985, when phones had dials. At around $23,000, you should get in line now.

GTI2007

Wantagti said:
A six-speed manual transmission is standard, while the dual-clutch DSG system is optional. DSG is trick, but its perfect gearshifts are too boring for a car this involving. It seems a shame to dilute your experience by going the no-clutch pedal route, even if DSG shifts faster than you can.

Sorry for all the DSG lovers but I have the same opinion about the DSG gearbox of the GTI as the guy from Autoweek.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
ouch! yeah yeah, all personal preference!! if you look at it directly from the performance standpoint - like i did - the DSG is the choice.. If you wanna actually be in touch at an intimate level then 6pd manual is the way to go.

All my previous cars have been manuals, I just got tired of dealing with all the work involved in city traffic jams. Especially uphill ones :/

Maybe my tastes are just changing as I age :)

hakgwai

Touring Car Newbie
Car(s)
BMP GTI
yea...i've been debating if i should get the manual or the dsg....guess it's manual for me then

GTT

Touring Car Champion
The manual is more "engaging" as it involves your left foot.
The DSG is better as it can perform the shift, and more importantly the downshift,
better than you and faster than you. It is also NOT a slushbox.
So, by keeping both hands on the steering, and having picture perfect downshifts, the driving experience becomes more engaging in another way.

So, make your left foot happy giving it something to do, or experience the technology that will usher in the "new" manual.

T

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
If you are constantly stuck in traffic, you might regret getting another manual, even more so the older WE get. The other difference is I gotta be cheap to pull off even getting the car. The good thing is, the car is absolutely fantastic just the way it comes, it's not like you're making sacrifices to buy the "stripper" model.

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
I have no issues with driving a manual in heavy traffic. First, it gives me something to do. Second, riding the brake with my foot is no treat either. Third, I know how to drive stick and have fit legs. :biggrin:

I think the DSG is cool and fun in a detatched way, but it turned it into too much of a Playstation experience for me. It reduced the skill and involvement quotient, and no one should be trying to shave those last 1/100ths while driving on public roads. Might as well yield braking, steering, and accelerator control to computers as well...

davesee

FIA GT Champion
Double-V said:
I have no issues with driving a manual in heavy traffic. First, it gives me something to do. Second, riding the brake with my foot is no treat either. Third, I know how to drive stick and have fit legs. :biggrin:

I think the DSG is cool and fun in a detatched way, but it turned it into too much of a Playstation experience for me. It reduced the skill and involvement quotient, and no one should be trying to shave those last 1/100ths while driving on public roads. Might as well yield braking, steering, and accelerator control to computers as well...

If a computer could do: braking, steering, and accelerator control better than me than sure :bellyroll:

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Actually... in traffic, I would rather pick the DSG. However, I'm all about that 3rd pedal!

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
I drive both a manual mk5 GTI and a DSG mk5 GTI more or less on a daily basis.
Both have there pros and cons for me, But i do miss the hand and foot movement when im in the DSG im more use to manuals and so prefer them but i see were the DSG fans can really love the system and be really won over by it.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Tapping the paddles is like being in heaven!

hakgwai

Touring Car Newbie
Car(s)
BMP GTI
:thumbup: :drool:
Wild Hare said:
Tapping the paddles is like being in heaven!

omg...so true..test drove it today...and bought it today as well!...so nice