GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying modified cars

Sp00led Ya

Passed Driver's Ed
How bad of an idea is it to buy a NA car gone turbo/supercharged. I am not typically a fan of buying someone elses project, something they built however it doesn't neccessarily need to stop there in regards to modifications it could be a good foundation for an even faster, or even better built car from the second owner. I was just thinking of the risk when buying say a SR20DET 240sx, Turbo Civic, Integra or something like that. If you found a car that was clean, taken to someone who knew what they were talking about in regard to forced induction on these cars that could tell if it was done tastefully and done right, not cheaped out then would it be that bad of an idea? I mean you as the buyer could always continue on with the project, change what you didn't like etc etc instead of starting from scratch. Can they be just as reliable as long as there done right or are they typically a pain. I wouldn't mind a Silvia conversion or something. Any thoughts?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Really depends on how well it was taken care of.

Parrothead

Go Kart Champion
id be nervous to buy a car like that, not knowing how it was driven and taken care of.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
I'd stay away from a modded car, especially if it has had an engine swap. I know 240s swapped to SR, RB, etc have hacked harnesses, that is NOT a nightmare you want to get involved with.
If you know and trust the person or shop who has done (and documented) the mods, then I might be a little swayed to buy the vehicle, but if you don't know who did the work, I'd pass on it.

Ultimately, if you do not know the quality of the work, stay way.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
depends how modded the car is or what it is. depending on the car, you would save a TON of money buying a modded car. i know guys who have bought mk4 supras and so forth on ebay or elsewhere, and they are in prestine condition. it really depends what car it is and who you bought it from.

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I bought a used modified car. It was the worst mistake of my life.
Then I got the GTI.

Deagle

Touring Car Champion
I would think it would be comparable to buying a rental car... in fact, you might be better off buying a rental car lol.

GTI689

Oval Champion
I think it matters i mean if all the car has is an exhaust, rims, and kit its not a big deal but if it has alot of stuff that messes with the engine like upgraded turbos, super chargers and all that other good stuff id stay away...