GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 slight issues im having.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
i was gonna post 2 threads, but then i just figured, what the hell, i'll just make one.

anyways, well the first thing im confused about is the high beams. when i flick them on, the actual high beam light doesnt turn on, but the hid's get brighter. it looks like they just angle up more. its wierd tho cuz ive seen the brights turn on when im behind someone at a light in the reflection of thier car. can anyone tell me what's going on with that?

the second thing is that ive noticed whenever i floor it a lil bit, i hear a pretty loud tinging noise come from my car after i get off the gas and resume normal driving. im thinking it's the exhaust, but it can get pretty loud at times. it'll pop like 2-3 times then stop. it sounds just like when you turn the car off and you can hear the exhaust ting a little bit just a lot louder than that. is that normal or what? ive never heard a car do that before while driving so thats why its kinda wierding me out. alright, well i hope you guys can help me out on this.

chow.

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
I don't know about your "loud pinging noise", but your lights are working correctly. Your HIDS are your brights. When they "angle up more" - that's the shutter in the lens opening up all the way - your brights. That's why they are called bi-xenon; for high and low beams. Older, plain xenon lights were only dims. They needed halogens for the brights (see last gen BMW 3 Series, early NA A3's, etc.). The halogens we have are not used as brights. Their sole function is for "flash to pass" -- Pull the stalk towards you momentarily when you are behind someone and want them to move out of the way. Something not used much in the US, unfortunately. -- when you have your headlights off. That's all they are for.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
thanks a lot gobluevdubdude. yeh ive never heard of those kinda lights before. i guess i shouldve took into more wonder on why they are called "bi"-xenons. well, thanks again. now i just gotta figure what the hell that pinging noise is and why it's doing it.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
McPsycho V said:
thanks a lot gobluevdubdude. yeh ive never heard of those kinda lights before. i guess i shouldve took into more wonder on why they are called "bi"-xenons.

So this is not explained in the owner's manual?

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
actually the owners manual is kinda wishy washy on the lights. I could not find anything on the halogens next to your regular lights, Turns out they are only operational when your headlights are off. They only come on when you pull back on the light bar. they dont stay on. Only place i could see this used is on the autobahn where people know it means to get the heck out of the fast lane. get it FAST lane!!!!!!

I've heard a few other people talking about the same noise I think. They are pretty sure it's the Fuel rods. Also, i played with the headlights again and I noticed that the brights go FREAKIN high! They were lighting up the city trees around me.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Fuel rods???? I didn't know the Fast was powered by a nuclear reactor. That's friggin sweet!

lol

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
so is that bad that they are making that noise? also, what exactly are the fuel rods? i was thinking it was the cats that were making that noise. i hope its nothing serious.

and yeah, i checked the owner's manual and it reall doesnt go into great detail as far as i can remember. just shows the basics of how to turn on the lights

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
McPsycho V said:
and yeah, i checked the owner's manual and it reall doesnt go into great detail as far as i can remember. just shows the basics of how to turn on the lights

So, does it tell you how to turn the brights on? So when you follow the instructions for turning the brights on, what happens? Do the xenons refocus? Would seem that if this is what happens, it answers the original question. IMO

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
NorthGTI said:
So, does it tell you how to turn the brights on? So when you follow the instructions for turning the brights on, what happens? Do the xenons refocus? Would seem that if this is what happens, it answers the original question. IMO

i was just a bit confused cuz i didnt know that the xenons acted as both the low and high beams. and i've never heard of a car having lights just for the purpose to flash someone to tell them move their shitbox outta the way.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
McPsycho V said:
and i've never heard of a car having lights just for the purpose to flash someone to tell them move their shitbox outta the way.

Welcome to Europe. Please leave your passport at the front desk, and enjoy the Autobahn.

/no Autobahn in UK though :mad: