GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much is too much?

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
Just out of plain curosity how much would YOU actually spend on a sound system for ur car, and how much total money would you invest into your car including everything:iono: :barf: :barf: :drinking:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Nothing. I like the factory items and don't like my car being broke into with aftermarket stuff. On the other hand a nice home stereo works just fine with 2 Doberman guarding the place.

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Myself, most times the Factory stuff is fine with maybe a speaker up grade after a bit. Most times I've got Talk Radio on, and a lot of time the Radio is OFF, so for me I'd rather hear the exhaust note or the wind whistling by when the Sunroof is open.

Please note....50 years of Age, Father of 3, Grand Father to 1, and with about a 30% loss of hearing from Jet Engine Work for 24 years.

Chris

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
x2

NYDUB said:
Myself, most times the Factory stuff is fine with maybe a speaker up grade after a bit. Most times I've got Talk Radio on, and a lot of time the Radio is OFF, so for me I'd rather hear the exhaust note or the wind whistling by when the Sunroof is open.
Chris

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
How much to spend for stuff...$:
headunit: 200-400 unless you want dvd or anything like that
speakers: 60-150 per pair of speakers
subs w/ box: 200-500 for both subs and box
amps: will range anywhere from 200+ depending on how much power your pushing for your subs. keep in mind more power will essentially give you the need to buy a capacitor to keep from stressing the alternator.
A great sound system to enjoy every day: priceless!

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
well i think i have been goin over kill then on my car then. With the ecu, intake, and exhaust i have spent like close to 3 grand, and im looking at another 4 grand for my audio system

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
:headbang:
Icranon said:
well i think i have been goin over kill then on my car then. With the ecu, intake, and exhaust i have spent like close to 3 grand, and im looking at another 4 grand for my audio system
:headbang: +1...there's really no substitute for a good audio system. The factory one kind of sucks but tends to be ok for the aging:burnrubber:

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
the more you invest usually the better your going to end up with your system...however do your research cus it all comes down to the type of music you listen to on a daily routine, I listen to a bit of everything, so i dedicate myself to Boston Acoustik for speakers...

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
No I already know about what im getting(Alpine dva-9857, jl audio xr653-cs, jlaudio xr650-csi, jlaudio amp 300/4 and 500/1, and a 10'' w7 with a custom fiber glass work in the back so it looks stock). I just wanted to see if I was spending to much on this car. Which after hearing some of this stuff I think that I am

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
I like the stock unit. If I were to upgrade, I would go all the way and invest in Dynaudio components. My last home speakers were Dynaudio, they were expensive, but it was money well spent.

I'd have no problem dropping $3K into a car system.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
oem ftw

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I have already spent close to 3 grand and am not done. Close but not quite. Waiting on the performance stuff cause there really isn't much out there yet.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
I have spent over $15K USD before on car audio.

I like a far more stealth total SQ bias system now.
Similar to street class systems in IASCA.com soundoffs.
Less equipment is more imho KISS is king.

At retail i would have spent $7875 so far on this car but i don't pay retail.:wink: Also Audio in the uk is about x1.75 if not x2 as expensive at retail price compared to the USA.
So to compare fare if i was in the states it would be nearer $4500 USD spent on this system. (Headunit, processor, 8ch of amplification, 3ways front, rear sub)

What i do recommend very highly and strongly to anyone that thinks car audio can never be anywhere close to home audio is goto one of the soundoffs and get to hear some good competition Sound Quality cars (not the boom boys or SPL guys or demo cars) you maybe shocked how good car audio can be.