GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My only complaint about our cars

SollyD

Go Kart Newbie
when the sunroof is open and you drive under like 50mph you hear that damn helicopter noise if the windows arent opened. It happens both with the sunroof all the way open and when the knob is turned to the point where you think it cant go anymore. I cant stand it, why didnt they design these things better.

SollyD

Go Kart Newbie
trick000 said:
I kinda like that noise. :)

you cant be serious. why would you want to drowned out every other possible sound, for example the radio, turbo, and passengers all while having the feeling your ears are going to pop?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Happened on the last 3 cars I've had with that "slide in" style sunroof. Just the nature of the beast. My prelude and civic did it. It's acoustics, you have air running at a high speed across an open yet trapped area and it creates that noise. Kind of like a bass speaker having a box built around it or better yet, blowing across the top of a beer bottle and getting that whistle. HTH

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
SollyD said:
when the sunroof is open and you drive under like 50mph you hear that damn helicopter noise if the windows arent opened. It happens both with the sunroof all the way open and when the knob is turned to the point where you think it cant go anymore. I cant stand it, why didnt they design these things better.

This is the same on all cars, of any make, with a retracting roof. My 78 911, 78 Golf, 84 Jetta, 84 Audi 4000, 85 Audi 4000q, 88 Audi 90q, 92 GTI, 95 GTI, 00 GTI all made the same sound. VW has to live with the laws of physics, just like every one else.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
NorthGTI said:
This is the same on all cars, of any make, with a retracting roof. My 78 911, 78 Golf, 84 Jetta, 84 Audi 4000, 85 Audi 4000q, 88 Audi 90q, 92 GTI, 95 GTI, 00 GTI all made the same sound. VW has to live with the laws of physics, just like every one else.

:thumbup: exactly what he said!!

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I've had cars that did this when the windows were rolled down. (no sunroof installed) As others have said, it is physics. Crack your windows a little and be happy the weather is nice enough to permit the sunroof being open. (i.e. stop complaining)

rdswcp

Go Kart Newbie
Teknophreak said:
I've had cars that did this when the windows were rolled down. (no sunroof installed) As others have said, it is physics. Crack your windows a little and be happy the weather is nice enough to permit the sunroof being open. (i.e. stop complaining)

The other option is to trade in the GTI with the sunroof for one with pkg o :thumbsup:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I remember a customer with an Expedition practically cussing me out saying it was a defect. Then I took her for a ride in another one and rolled one rear window part way down. She never said another word and didn't apologize.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
NorthGTI said:

This doesn't happen on my Civic. I will be happy to take some video w/sound of me driving 70 or 80 on the highway with the roof all the way open and the windows shut to prove it.

Not ALL cars do this, because I drive one that doesn't.

Also, the original poster listed cars that he has owned that did not do this, and I have to assume that he isn't going to lie about that.

*disclaimer
This statement is not intended to claim Honda retractable roof design is superior to VW retractable roof design. This statement is intended to refute the claim that EVERY CAR ON EARTH has a helicopter gunship noise when the windows are closed and the roof is fully retracted.

onthevirg

Oval Champion
My GTI does it, just like our Bettle and Jetta did. I've heard it on other cars as well. It only happens from 25-30 mph for me, and if you crack a window it's not there. Like Slowride said, I'm sure it doesn't happen in some cars as well. Be interested to see if people that have the aftermarket deflector have this problem too.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I don't have a pic, but when my roof is fully retracted, a plastic piece that is shaped like this pops up (front view here):

[]_[]_[]_[]_[]_[]_[]
-------------------

This piece is obviously designed to chop up the air stream that causes this effect, so that is probably why my car doesn't do this.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
Slowride said:
*disclaimer
This statement is not intended to claim Honda retractable roof design is superior to VW retractable roof design. This statement is intended to refute the claim that EVERY CAR ON EARTH has a helicopter gunship noise when the windows are closed and the roof is fully retracted.

:bellyroll: :bellyroll: :bellyroll:

It's a sad world when a disclaimer like that is required