GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US Golf to be called "Rabbit"

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I'm down with the name. Stikes to the heart of VW's whole goal with the MkV. Getting back to what mades these cars great!

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
zerogt86 said:
i think this is a great move. only question is, will this forum also pick up the domain rabbitmkv.com? lol

I just bought mkvrabbit.com :thumbup: Maybe it'll be worth something :iono:

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
I just bought mkvrabbit.com :thumbup: Maybe it'll be worth something :iono:

u do know there is a rabbit vibrator ad on that site right now?...lol:tweetz:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I think this is a great Idea. I plan to put the little rabbit on my GTI anyway. Having the last of the Golfs is interesting...but they are coming out with the R32.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
car This was news to me. I like it. AUBURN HILLS said:
For anyone that lived thru the embarrassing VW times with the terrible USA built Golf, with all it's plastic chrome and crushed velvet seat cloth, this is a very depressing event. What next, fuzzy dice standard on the rear view mirror? At least the name lettering on the car will be easy to replace.

Last edited:

BMWDavid

Drag Racing Champion
Actually I think its a bad idea. The Golf has always been a Golf in other markets. The US was basically the only market to get the car labeled as a Rabbit. Manufacturers should keep the names of their products consistant regardless of markets. I realize that some Asian cars have strange names in their homeland and perhaps those cars could /would/do benefit from name changes when they come to US markets. But we are talking about European cars here. Does Porsche/BMW/Audi/Mercedes Benz put US only model names on their products? Of course not!

When VW NA finally started calling this car a Golf in our market, I believe it helped the status/perceived image of the car.

Personally I would rather have my called a Golf GTI and not a Rabbit GTI. One is Euro correct the other is cute/stupid? US marketing.

Just my opinion though.

David

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I have NO Problem with this. The Rabbit was a very good seller for VW here in the states. Of course with my German background and living in Europe for a few years I perferred the badging on the Golf models over the Rabbit.

But...for the new MKV....I think I like it!

Chris

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
ukdub said:
I have my rabbit badge on already ;)
May i ask were you got the rabbit badge?
I have one of the original ones from the mk1 rabbit GTI for my Mk1 that i use from time to time, one for the mk5 would be nice too.

heightened body strength, crash protection, driving dynamics, and reduced interior noise. hahah like a rabbit.

not to be apart of a negative snowball but, the golf isnt the fastest of the vw line. i think golf would be fine and as someone mentioned earlier... do bmw/audi/mercedes/porsche change their names for different markets?
i would be fine with an mkv rabbit/gti
but not so much rabbit/golf

but then again what is a golf any way

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
snoopy said:
May i ask were you got the rabbit badge?
I have one of the original ones from the mk1 rabbit GTI for my Mk1 that i use from time to time, one for the mk5 would be nice too.

i've got my old MkI badge from an '83 rabbit too...if i wasnt worried about it being stolen, i'd put that on my GTI once i get it. as for the MkV badge, its the same as the little rabbit badge from the MkIV 20th AE GTI, and in my opinion looks better coz the GTI is in red, not chrome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RABBIT-HARE-GTI...054886014QQcategoryZ72211QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here's a link for one listed in ebay, and the seller is in the UK, or just google it...there are some aftermarket places you can get them and they look OEM