GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Edmunds comparison Si vs. GTI

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
tydale3 said:
Hondas will always be HONDAS.

And Volkswagens are? Man I don't even know what to say to that, the point I'm trying to make here in this thread is that the Edmunds editor was so biased that he had to personally attack the GTI and VW as a brand to bring it down, but you are basically here doing the same thing the other way around by saying that.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
tydale3 said:
Hondas will always be HONDAS. Thing is if it wasnt for the first little Rabbit, non of theses cars would be around. Chrysler hired carrol shelby to make their little car outrun the rabbit, the GLH was born. And it did outrun the rabbit, Honda's cars at the time might outrun a yugo. VW started speedy little cars in the US. As far as I am concerned they Ended the battle with the MKV. No other car in its class compairs to the overall appeal. Some might beat it at the track or at the strip. Most wont. But the ones that do , thats all they have. I drive mine everyday, I dont race at the track. But i would be more than happy to race any of you Loud exhaust think you go fast yuppys out there. Including any of you DSG fans who think because car and driver says the DSG is faster than the manual it is. Your dreaming !

so what u are saying is that EVERYONE that tested a DSG vs 6MT was wrong?

bro that whole post sounds very bitter....hondas will always be hondas...and VW's will always VW's....thats a fact and wont ever change....granted the first Rabbit GTI may have been the first "pocket rocket" and it may have started the hot hatch stuff...but there were other cars out there that started the whole import/euro scene...a car like the Rx-7 Gsl-se would run circles around a rabbit...there are others...i cant think of any off the top of my head

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I had this same discussion with myself in 1990. I like the Civic Si, but the GTI is a nicer car with way more options. I couldn't afford it, so I bought the $11,000 Civic Si and drove on cloud 9 for 3 years. Just because performance numbers are similar doesn't mean the cars are as has been pointed out. Both cars are great performers, I think both represent great values to the markets they target.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
8.3 for the Civic vs. 7.0 for the GTI in terms of interior material?!

Now I know they're smoking some bad granola.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Well, they're not an "accredited" magazine anywho, so take what they say with a grain of salt. I remember reading some of their reviews a few years ago and had to laugh myself silly. I used to be a Motor Trend freak, but now that they've changed their format to horrible pictures and just the general mag layout, I dropped my subscription to them.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
We in the U.S. just don't have an upscale car magazine like the U.K. does (CAR, if you've never seen an issue, check them out!), and subscriptions to CAR run well over $100 a year. Damn GBP-USD conversion rates.

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
Forget magazine reviews. If you want the best review, test drive the car yourself. If it raises your heart rate when you hit the gas, slaps a big ass smile on your face, and cant wait to drive it again; then it's a keeper. :burnrubber: Hence, my BM 06 GTI.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Vdub, can't argue with that at all as I've bought many the mags said sucked. My only issue is my wife who can't stand GTI's....... I've been keeping this on the lowdown as I don't want to grind on her about it because I've had way too many cars already. I think she's really enjoying seeing me driving a Neon whilst she enjoys her Mazda6 wagon with leather, atc, bose, etc. I just wish the Civic Si sedan was out now so I could drive it just to lay to rest the GTI is it for me.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
VDUBB said:
Forget magazine reviews. If you want the best review, test drive the car yourself. If it raises your heart rate when you hit the gas, slaps a big ass smile on your face, and cant wait to drive it again; then it's a keeper. :burnrubber: Hence, my BM 06 GTI.

I wasnt commenting on EVO for the GTI statistics, I was referring to it as another car magazine from the UK that is good like CAR that DR. Woo suggested. I meant nothing in reference in how EVO rated the GTI

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Those mags have other scenery in them too....... They only agitate me when I read them here because you Euros get all the good cars.......

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I almost bought the Civic Si, then I met the GTI. My friend and I swapt vehicles last thursday (his 06 Si and my 06 GTI) and after we ran the piss out of them I was happy I made my purchase and bought the GTI. He said he also wishes he would have been able to afford the GTI and not been so tight with his money. His fav things about the GTI was the torque and the interior. I personally don't think the Civic of 06 interior is nice at all with the Si. My decision was much harder to make when I was bouncing back and forth between dealers. But having them side by side I knew I made the right choice. My last car was an 05 Si. So I must admit I love Civics. Just like this Golf more. I was also able to pass him or run away whenever I felt like it. Then again, my car is chipped. Anyways, I'm done now. They are both nice cars, but I like my GTI more. I missed that "low end" pull (aka torque).