GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

black plastic "ground effects"

GTT

Touring Car Champion
I really do wish VW would have body color painted those blackish plastic air dams and side skirts. I don't like the matte plastic look. It looks cheapish and unfinished. Audi did that on the previous gen A4 and it looked cheesy. The new A4 is painted top to bottom and it MUCH nicer.

The VW Velox parts look very nice, but I'll bet just painting the black plastic pieces would improve the GTI nearly as well.
Luckily, the Velox parts are being advertised as factory painted in factory color so the cost may not be too bad.
Still, I think I can have the black pieces body color painted for about $300-$400.

How much are the VW front, rear, and side skirt painted parts?

What do you guys think? Do you think VW should have painted the black plastic bits in body color from the factory?

TT

z3speed4me

Go Kart Champion
do you think those plastic pieces painted will match the body, like bc its a different material will it look different???

GTT

Touring Car Champion
z3speed4me said:
do you think those plastic pieces painted will match the body, like bc its a different material will it look different???

Yes. I've seen it done. Painting is a multistep process. Once the primer is done and the surface prepped, the top coats are identical to what the factory uses. Then they are finally clear coated and match perfectly, that is IF you take it to someone who does things correctly and is a professional at body/paint work.

Also, the parts the VW is selling are plastic pieces that are simply painted as well.
They just have a slightly different shape, but they are made of the same types of materials as the black pieces.

TT

GTT

Touring Car Champion
JJ-R32 said:
Hey TT, you can find MSRP prices for all GTI accessories in this thread - http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5

Hope that helps.

OuCh! If I could get the set for 50%, somewhere in the $800 range, I think it's doable.
But, for nearly $1550 MSRP that's much too high.
VW should have just used those pieces to begin with.

Now, I need to get in touch with discount parts sellers.

Thanks again.

TT