GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is it that Mini Cooper Guys can't stand about GTI?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Because we have true German engineering and we are CULT not a Club!

"It's not a car... it's a Volkswagen.":wink:

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
MiniS is way too cute for me. No matter what color I choose, I still cant picturize myself driving it. If I really have to choose, I will take graphite grey.

The smaller room and the cuty look are the reasons I did not pick MiniS.

While performance wise, it's a very good car.

I think MiniS ppl tend to hate Gti cos they did not dare to see a HOT HATCH that is threatening their leading role in this category. I think, as more GTi are imported into US and Canada, Gti will replace MiniS in the hothatch leaders very soon.

btw, Gti offers a 4-door version, MiniS dooes not.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The 4-door is known as 5-door.

dmclone

Oval Champion
I like the MCS and think it's a good car. Lack of dealerships and bang for the buck kept me out of one though.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
I don't know but I'm currently browsing North American Motoring (a MINI forum) because my fiancee has an MiNi Cooper S on order and I posted a pic of my Fast in the Off-Topic forum. Let's just say about 90% of the comments are negative - just hate. Fortunately, I had another Mk V GTI owner on my side :biggrin:
i tried finding your post on teh site, i couldnt, think you could send a link?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
I test drove the MCS back in 2002 and again 2 months ago...

Pros:
corners nice and flat
great visibility (so much glass area)
plenty of options to make it like you want it.

Cons:
Lame engine, doesn't feel fast enough, sounds rough.
interior trim quality (this has gotten better since the first drive i did 4 years ago)
having to pay extra for the chrono kit to get the guages in a sensible place.

I just think there's a fair bit of jealousy and badge snobbery over on that other forum. plenty seem to be bagging the GTI, but no-one seems to have driven it... No surprise really, ignorance is bliss...

The reaction to the advertising is humorous too... It must hurt to see another car company come up with more inspired advertising that emphasises driver enjoyment than advertising that treats your car like a toy and something you buy purely for self-image...

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
scuderiavw said:
you are a good man, mate

Who, me??

The mini isn't a car I could just get in and cruise to work in every day... I'd just feel like I'd have to wring the crap out of it driving everywhere at 110%. I don't want to drive like I'm in The Italian Job absolutely everywhere I go, it'd be exhausting.... plus I can't afford that many speeding tickets...

That's something I love about the GTI. It'll go just as fast as the MCS, but it can be a fast and relaxed cruiser when I want to relax and get where I need to be... :respekt:

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Kirium said:
The reaction to the advertising is humorous too... It must hurt to see another car company come up with more inspired advertising that emphasises driver enjoyment than advertising that treats your car like a toy and something you buy purely for self-image...

Oh irony. VWoA's ad company used to be MINI USA's company. They dropped MINI when they got the dub account:tongue:

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Kirium said:
It'll go just as fast as the MCS,

It is so much faster than my MINI was when it was stock! I am quite jealous of this as well. My wife spends $2k on a chip and turboback and has bumped her bhp by about 70. I spend $3k and get about 40bhp. WTF???

dam supercharged engines...grumble...grumble

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Holy crap ...... that one MINI owner in that other thread needs a medical check-up, because he's missing his sarcastic bone. Seriously I haven't seen any normal person that actually took offense from the FAST ads, female or not people I've talk to all thought it was a funny sarcastic joke and a good ad that leaves an impression.