GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

gas going up to $4.00/gallon!

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
rica_roel said:
thank God and yes for Mexico, yes, yes, yes¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡. Its time for US to pay a reasonable price for the Petrol¡¡¡¡¡

I´m sorry if many dont like my point of view, and after all, we all drive a good MPG Car, sorry for all the SUV owner´s, now they will pay what they should many years ago¡¡¡¡¡

Sorry.

Ricardo

i thought mexico had reasonalbe gas prices like we have in the states...i guess i was way off...

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
smp85 said:
i thought mexico had reasonalbe gas prices like we have in the states...i guess i was way off...

No way very expensive gas, like in Europe. Its incredible being producers of gas and many other energetics, Gasoline and Diesel are very expensive.

7.4 pesos for 1 ltr, that would be 0.911 EUR or 0.947 USD

that is for Regular unleaded

8.0 pesos for Premium that would be 93 ron (super)

Cheers

GTI2007

rica_roel said:
No way very expensive gas, like in Europe. Its incredible being producers of gas and many other energetics, Gasoline and Diesel are very expensive.

Cheers

Not to be picky but 7.4 pesos is 0.54 € or 0.67 $ and 8 pesos is 0.58 € or 0.72 $. That is still a whole lot less then what we pay for 98 octane, cause we pay 1.40 € per liter which would be 19 pesos per liter.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
rica_roel said:

Cheers

wow...well, the us will be up to that rate soon.

bilbos

On the Kop
andrewt said:
i think we're making decent progress in alternative fuels. the new hybrids may not be great, but its encouraging that some of the cutting edge car companies are actually trying. they'll no doubt get better and better.

if you're hoping for a breakthrough technology like hydrogen power or the like, it may be a while. i'm sure there are people working on it, but its not like just throwing money at the problem is going to magically solve the problem. trying to make things like cold fusion and hydrogen power are huge undertakings, it will simply take time, and it WILL just be a matter of time before they come up with a material or process breakthrough. nuclear power, the gasoline engine, and the steam engine, wasn't invented overnight, and neither will these technologies.

of course i'm sure i'm stating the obvious here, but the problem with developing these technologies is that they require capital, with very little short term return on the investment. what profit-making company is going to do that? companies are formed to make money, pure and simple. until we become a communist state, its going to stay that way.

The company that I work for have been researching fuel cells for a good few years. I think that it works on a small scale at the moment but the challenge is getting it compact and cheap enough to integrate into everyday life. General Motors have produced a fuel cell car, but it cost circa $1 million. A bit on the pricey side.

Last edited:

GTI2007

smp85 said:
wow...well, the us will be up to that rate soon.

But he also overrated the peso a little bit. The currenct value of 1 Mexican Peso is 0.09 $ and he took a value of 0.128 $ per mexican peso. That makes quite a big difference.

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
GTI2007 said:
But he also overrated the peso a little bit. The currenct value of 1 Mexican Peso is 0.09 $ and he took a value of 0.128 $ per mexican peso. That makes quite a big difference.

Yes sorry today is:

11.0872 pesos for 1 USD
11.0875 pesos for 1 EUR

for 7.4 pesos a ltr is 0.538 EURO
and 7.4 pesos a ltr is 0.6674 USD

Sorry for the convertion¡¡¡

EURO & DOLLAR almoust = just right now

EMB145Driver

Ready to race!
You know, all of the oil is traded on the open market. The Europeans pay more for a tank of gas because of taxes. No one is giving the US any more of a deal on oil than they are giving to Mexico, Europe, or China. You either buy at the market price or you don't.

Here's a piece from an article I found by Googling "Europe Fuel Taxes."

"In Europe, fuel tax can amount to more than 75% of the price at the pump. Comparatively, gas taxes in Canada represent approximately 40% of the price at the pump, with variations between provinces and territories. In the U.S., the tax percentage is only 12.5%. Why the disparities? Well, because just like businesses, countries have different goals -- and taxes are placed on consumption goods as a vehicle by which governments attain these goals."

The oil companies are gouging us plain and simple, and demand, like China, is increasing. ExxonMobil posts record profits, gives their CEO a $380,000,000 dollar retirement package, and proudly states that they do not intend to spend 1 cent on alternative power research because they are an oil company. Couple that with the policies of the current US administration and you have a recipe for economic disaster. Pawn shops are reporting that approximately 30% of their current business stems from people selling stuff to pay for gas.

The company I work for is one of the largest users of oil products in the world. For every 1 cent increase in the per gallon cost of jet fuel, it costs my employer about $2,000,000 per month. Last fall, oil went up after Katrina, then fell some what. Jet Fuel, however, remained really high due to refinery issues, and it will probably never come back down.

If you think oil is high now, just wait until the first tropical depression developes off the west coast of Africa. They'll hike oil prices before they even know if it's going to hit the US Gulf Coast oil infrastructure. It will affect all of us alot more, in many different ways, than just what you see at the gas pump.

The entire world economy functions on oil. 25% of it comes from Iran, and even more from the Persian Gulf area as a whole. Iran is playing brinksmanship with nuclear technology, and the idiot running the US is stupid enough to bomb/nuke them, thus destabilizing the area more. Hopefully, the UN will be able to handle it diplomatically, and soon.

Sorry for the rant.

If you want to read an interesting article and see why we're in such trouble, particularly in the US, try this one: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/pr..._history?rnd=1145908143033&has-player=unknown

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
andrewt said:
its not the companies themselves that set gas prices...its the people RUNNING the gas station.
thats just not true for the most part. They make pennies a gallon off gas at the pumps. Their invoices have been seen by the public. its not the gas stations and if they are in a specific case contact the state and they will get them for price gouging. Its all the oil/gas companies.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
earthtoandy said:
thats just not true for the most part. They make pennies a gallon off gas at the pumps. Their invoices have been seen by the public. its not the gas stations and if they are in a specific case contact the state and they will get them for price gouging. Its all the oil/gas companies.

+2 Gas stations make most of their money off of the crap you buy in the store, not the gasoline they sell.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
People keep saying Exxon reports record profits. Big difference between gross profit and net profit. You might want to look into net profit before you point to the oil companies........You hear what a certain political party wants you to hear, which I won't go in to.

car

Autocross Champion
Wantagti said:
People keep saying Exxon reports record profits. Big difference between gross profit and net profit. You might want to look into net profit before you point to the oil companies........You hear what a certain political party wants you to hear, which I won't go in to.

:clap:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Teknophreak said:
+2 Gas stations make most of their money off of the crap you buy in the store, not the gasoline they sell.

+3 They don't make shit, and in fact they actually only buy the gas 2-3 cents less per gallon than we do. Not much discount for 20 gallons, but for 20,000 gallons it adds up.

The stations need to keep the costs of gas down as much as possible. It's one of the most competitive markets there is. No one is going to go to station A when they can go to Station B across the street and save 3 cents a gallon.

People forget that the supply of oil is regulated by a CARTEL. This is in effect a legal monopoly. They decide how much oil to release and at what price to sell it. It's not even really the oil companies as the poster a couple up said there is a difference in types of profit.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
MHS216 said:
+3 They don't make shit, and in fact they actually only buy the gas 2-3 cents less per gallon than we do. Not much discount for 20 gallons, but for 20,000 gallons it adds up.

The stations need to keep the costs of gas down as much as possible. It's one of the most competitive markets there is. No one is going to go to station A when they can go to Station B across the street and save 3 cents a gallon.

People forget that the supply of oil is regulated by a CARTEL. This is in effect a legal monopoly. They decide how much oil to release and at what price to sell it. It's not even really the oil companies as the poster a couple up said there is a difference in types of profit.

i'm glad someone finally brought up the cartel...F'ing OPEC...