GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

springs quote

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
I just got a quote from a shop that put the labor cost of installing springs at close to $375. Is this a good price?

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Sinjin said:
I just got a quote from a shop that put the labor cost of installing springs at close to $375. Is this a good price?

that's good, I was quoted $400.00 by one shop $375.00 by another, and $500.00 by the dealership. I'm going with the $400.00 dollar shop becuase it was super clean, plus they'll do my rear-swaybar once it comes in. I'm doing an Eibach Pro-Kit spring install, and a Neuspeed rear anti-swaybar.

:headbang:

erick.s

Autocross Champion
rica_roel said:
Very expensive, I paid $80.00 usd

Ricardo

Prices for this kind of work is very regional. I think $375 is a decent price, especially as the OP lives in Atlanta. Any major metropolitan area is going to have a higher labor rate. By me, I think the typical labor rate is $85-$95 per hour, which should equal about the $375 he was quoted.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I live in Seattle home of Boeing & Microsoft and that's is spendy.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
erick.s said:
Prices for this kind of work is very regional. I think $375 is a decent price, especially as the OP lives in Atlanta. Any major metropolitan area is going to have a higher labor rate. By me, I think the typical labor rate is $85-$95 per hour, which should equal about the $375 he was quoted.

is swapping out our suspension really a 4 billable hour job? that seems a bit high, considering i would bet a competant mechanic could do it in 2 hours.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
andrewt said:
is swapping out our suspension really a 4 billable hour job? that seems a bit high, considering i would bet a competant mechanic could do it in 2 hours.

It may be a bit high, but I don't think it's really outrageous. I haven't priced it for myself here, but on MkIVs I know 2-3 hours' time is what most shops were saying it took. The MkV is a bit more complex of a system, so I'd think 3-4 hours may be reasonable.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
holy crap that's more expensive than the parts. I guess it adds up though when it's $90 an hour. I would consider doing it yourself. You can rent a spring compressor from an autoparts store. If you have 3 or so hours it might be a good bonding experience with your vehicle.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
it's pricey but the quote i'm talking about includes the install of the springs, swaybar, and allignment. I'm not equipped to do it myself, but i'll hang out at the shop and watch.

revaudi

Oval Newbie
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
it's pricey but the quote i'm talking about includes the install of the springs, swaybar, and allignment. I'm not equipped to do it myself, but i'll hang out at the shop and watch.
Need to specify that in your OP.

4 wheel alignment runs about $80, so essentially an hours labor. My install took 3 hours for the H&R Cup kit. You have about 4.5 hours labor total, so $375 is a pretty fair price.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
revaudi said:
Need to specify that in your OP.

4 wheel alignment runs about $80, so essentially an hours labor. My install took 3 hours for the H&R Cup kit. You have about 4.5 hours labor total, so $375 is a pretty fair price.

he's not the original poster. but agreed, $400 for alignment, spring install, and rear sway install is an acceptable price. dunno what the original poster is talking about.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
4 wheel align for $80? Where?