GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car moving after put in park

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Kurupt-MK5 said:
its due to having front and back disk breaks...

Please explain your thought on that. I am interested in hearing why the use of disc brakes front and back (like on about every car made) would effect the transmission.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
You guys should try reading your manual. It clearly states that you need to pull the ebrake even for the DSG transmission model. Not only will keep you from rolling but your transmission will thank you later.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Manual says use handbrake (ebrake I guess you guys call it). Do this on all cars, regardless of whether it's an auto or a manual, except in extreme cold weather conditions.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Almost all cars DONT have 4 wheel disk brakes!!! Fewer do have it then dont for sure.

DSG is 2 manual trannys tied together, use the handbrake like the book says.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
You guys should try reading your manual. It clearly states that you need to pull the ebrake even for the DSG transmission model. Not only will keep you from rolling but your transmission will thank you later.
''

Thank you!
Finally someone actually looked in their manual. :thumbsup:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
plac said:
That pawl is not meant to hold a 3000lb car... And eventually it will break if you roll on it every day.

First, we don't know for sure if the "pawl" is the same in a DSG as it is in a torque converter automatic, which is NOT the same kind of automatic trans.

Next, that "pawl" in an automatic trans sure does hold cars even heavier than 3000lbs. as nearly no Lincoln or Caddy owner engages their "ebrake" when parking.

In the US we call it an "e-brake" because most automatic trans cars do not have "hand-brakes", at least not back in the day. The e-brake, or "parking brake", was engaged by pressing a foot operated pedal to engage the brake.

Last edited:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTT said:
In the US we call it a "e-brake" because most automatic trans cars do not have "hand-brakes", at least not back in the day. The e-brake was engage by pressing a foot operated pedal to engage the brake.

Gotcha, thanks - I've seen what you've described on various Mercs and Porsches, but not on too many other auto cars in the UK.

Fuzzbear

Fat bastard
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
Dr. Woo said:
Use your e-brake. My 2001 A4 Tiptronic did the same thing. It's just the way the transmission builder builds them, in this case Borg-Warner.

We just make the DCT Module, the module is mated to an already existing manual trans.

Anyways...you should use the handbrake when parking the car.

The "pawl" that everone keeps talking about is a type of OWC alows the trans to move in one direction only.

My Mazda rolls a little sometimes when putting it in park and mine is a true auto.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
tydale3 said:
Almost all cars DONT have 4 wheel disk brakes!!! Fewer do have it then dont for sure.

OK, do this. Go to every new car dealer in your area. Look at every 2006 and 2007 car on their lot. Write down every make/model you find with drum brakes on the rear. You will end up with a really, really short list.

NSJ202

Banned
Just using the transmission to park your vehicle is very bad for its transmission.
Brake parts are cheaper than DSG boxes.

apollosfury

designeddwk