GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hardwire 8500

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
where is the best place to hardwire the 8500 x50 radar detecter, anyone have pics of were they have if u have..

thanks

ank

hakgwai

Touring Car Newbie
Car(s)
BMP GTI
hey, i got mine done by someone, but i'll take some pics of it..
all i know is they did it under the steering wheel

EDIT: just took some pics

Last edited:

andrewt

Autocross Champion
i hardwired my V1 by tapping into a fuse in the fusebox on the driver's side of the dashboard. all you have to do is tap your hardwire kit into a fuse that is switched on with the ignition (fuse #41 will work, it is usually empty from the factory), and route the wire up through the a pillar, and tuck it into the space between the headliner and the windshield. pretty straight forward.

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
andrewt said:
i hardwired my V1 by tapping into a fuse in the fusebox on the driver's side of the dashboard. all you have to do is tap your hardwire kit into a fuse that is switched on with the ignition (fuse #41 will work, it is usually empty from the factory), and route the wire up through the a pillar, and tuck it into the space between the headliner and the windshield. pretty straight forward.

Has anyone hardwired a V1 into the sunroof control area?

Pete

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Mine is under the radio and wired into the lighter socket. There is a pic on here somewhere...with the nav I did.

hakgwai

Touring Car Newbie
Car(s)
BMP GTI
loccusst said:
Mine is under the radio and wired into the lighter socket. There is a pic on here somewhere...with the nav I did.

ohoh...i'll like to see pics of that

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
It's a nice clean install of that, but for optimum performance you should mount the radar detector low on the windshield close to the dash but high enough that it can see over the wiper arm on the car.

Don’t mount it high!
  1. During the testing of the products reviewed on RadarBusters by Radar Roy and Speed Measurement Laboratories, the radar detector is always mounted in the manner the manufacture recommends in their manual, in the center of the windshield.
  2. However you will see on this page, that mounting it in this manner will not allow it to receive laser alerts. A laser beam shot at 500 feet is only 18” wide when it hits your vehicle. Police target either the front license plate or the headlamps. If the radar detector is mounted in the center of the windshield, it will be too high to receive any of the “splatter” that may indicate you are being targeted by a police laser gun.
  3. There are also several other problems with this method:
  4. In most cases, mounting the radar detector in this position will place it in the center of the windshield. This can cause a visual obstruction while you are driving. In Minnesota, it is illegal to mount anything to your windshield that may obstruct your vision (169.71: No person shall drive or operate any motor vehicle with objects suspended between the driver and windshield)
  5. Mounting a radar detector too high will cause you to take your eyes off the road when it is activated.
  6. If left in your car while parked, you will be exposing it to thieves.
  7. This position is also a dead give away for law enforcement that you have a countermeasure device. While Radar Roy was a traffic officer, it was common to pull behind a motorist who was speeding and see their radar detector mounted directly in the center of the windshield. Even though the use of a radar detector is legal in all states, with the exception of Virginia and Washington D.C., some officers don't appreciate their use. You will have a better chance of getting a break, if you make it less noticeable.
  8. You will have other motorists following behind making you their trailblazer. If you then encounter an emergency situation and slam on your brakes, the vehicles following may slam into you.

Mount it Low!

Consider using Velcro to mount your detector on the dash or using the supplied windshield mounting brackets and mounting it low on the windshield. By mounting it this way, making sure that the windshield wipers are not blocking the front, you will draw the least amount of attention and obtain the best laser and radar detection.

Full link: http://www.radarbusters.com/support/maximize-detector/2.asp

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
i know you should mount it low, i read that a few days ago, but i want to know how to get teh wire from where he has the remote placed to the window but making it look clean...do you jut route it up behind the radio and out the vent on top

andrewt

Autocross Champion
i dont want to get into a debate, but with my V1 mounted up high, i've already been saved by the laser alert.

the problem with the theory about the beam only being 18' wide is good and all, but the thing is, if your radar detector is warning you WHILE the officer is shooting your license plate or headlight, its too late, you've already been caught.

the only way to detect laser far enough in advance is to get the laser 'splatter' from the officer shooting cars around you. i have a feeling that to detect splatter, it doesn't really effect it much whether its mounted high or low.

common sense tells me that if you mount the detector low on the windshield, its more likely for a car to block radar signals from down the road. also, it seems like it would also reduce the effectiveness of the rear sensor in the V1. whether or not that's true, i have no idea. bottom line is, the owner's manual for the V1 tells me to mount it up high, so i will. :smile:

etang789

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
my 1st reason to mount it high is because the cop cant see it when they are up close, due to the cop is standing up