GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why a GTI, if there is a speed limit?!

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
I am curious! (no offence!!!:smile: )

If you are not German: why did you own a GTI, when u never have the chance to drive (legaly) with top speed? :help:

If there would be a speed limit in Germany, my car would be big, soft and cosy.:smile:

Sure, the GTI is a very good car everywhere, but where is the fun? Just the handling on small streets?

Give me a hint! (easy english favored :thumbsup: )

btw, this is my first international posting - forgive me any spelling mistakes

Last edited:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
NO MAAM! said:
Give me a hint! (easy english favored )

The GTI is for folks that love to drive. It's not just a speed thing, it's a driving enjoyment thing.

If a car is just transportation to the owner, then a GTI is not for them.

Come over to the DC area and drive on 495 (our beltway) and tell me people over here don't speed. you'd think it was NASCAR or something.

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
kirk180 said:
Not to mention that a lot of people here speed.:burnrubber:

A lot? I would say everyone. How many people do you see driving the speed limit on the fwys? Well, except for the occasional grammys & gramps who drive under the speed limit. I live in Texas, mostly flat and a lot of freeways. Get a reputable radar detector and you can definetely have some fun with the GTi. :cool:

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
have you been to the UK?

The car is made for our A and B roads.. loads of short and medium straights with loads of twisty bits in between.. maximum fun

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
101st_IanC said:
have you been to the UK?

The car is made for our A and B roads.. loads of short and medium straights with loads of twisty bits in between.. maximum fun

That´s what i wanted to know, ty! :clap: Sorrowly i didn´t made it to the UK yet.

I allways enjoy driving in the US: speed is even, sedate manner with easy driving... a lot of relaxing fun to me, riding a F150 or a Buick Le Sabre. A GTI would be to nervous for me on a ride through the Mojave Desert :rolleyes:

Guess, it depends on what you are familiar with...

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
Guten tag!

Many Americans drive short distances, within cities, to and from work or school. The GTI is a fun car to drive and makes the experience enjoyable every time.

Grüße

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I am German (from my Fathers side) and I've been on the Autobahn and numerous other highways and such in Europe after being in the Military.
It's a Passion thing for me... I have always liked the small economy cars that are light and quick.

I haven't been this excited since I bought my first GTI in '83.

I love speed and in our country you really can't go fast for any length of distance.
If people here drove like you do in Germany (with respect for one another and the slower car would get the hell out of the way) and had the great roads you do I suppose we would drive faster.

The GTI is a great all around car for the price. In my opinion no one makes a car as Great as the Germans do!

By the way, I love your country and how clean it is and the respect you have for your elders!!

Have a great day!

Erik

erick.s

Autocross Champion
There aren't any laws that say how fast you can get up to the posted speed limit:thumbup: .:biggrin:

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
^ reckless driving too. You can bet if a cop sees you peeling out from a stoplight (even if not racing) you'll see blue lights in your rearview shortly thereafter.

On topic however, I agree with anything regarding the driving of curvy twisting roads. A car that handles well and complies when the driver gets aggressive is why I'm after a GTI. If I were after purely top speed or even acceleration I would be more concerned with larger (6 cyl./larger turbo 4's) engined autos.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
UNCbigM said:
^ reckless driving too. You can bet if a cop sees you peeling out from a stoplight (even if not racing) you'll see blue lights in your rearview shortly thereafter. QUOTE]

Been there, done that. Reckless Op. - $150 fine....