GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting...

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
OK, for shits and giggles I just went out to get some veggies for dinner and tried to shift at 1800 and it is do-able but my fun factor was a flat-line... I sand by my last comment, if you want to shift at 1800 you should have gotten a TDI... The OPs sales guy needs to be shot :)

I know it sounds hateful but I can't see any reason for buying a GTI to shift so early and have no fun with it.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I shift above 3k and usually around 4k. Whats the point of having a turbo if it ain't spoolin'? I still get 26mpg+ around almost only city driving. almost 3000 miles on my car.

For a car this fun, and to drive how I want, I can deal with 26+ mpg.

MKV6SPD

Oval Champion
I shift at 2.5k rpm on the daily from 1st to 3rd then at 2k from 4-6.When hauling ass i shift at 4k from 1st -4th by that time im at the speed i want to be at hehe.I know im not a prof. driver but thats what my fast likes to shift at.Have any of you guys noticed how quick and easy it is to shift each gear when at around 6k?Seems like chirping 3rd is too easy

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
i shift around 2.5k when im SERIOUS about economy, when im in traffic and i need the torque ill bring it up to aboput 4k. I rememebr when i was looking at the mini S and the dealer told me to shifrt around 4.5k for economy... HAHAHAHA what a little 1.6 engine....

HendosFast

Passed Driver's Ed
I try to shift at 2K if, 1. im not killin the idiot next to me, or 2. trying to save on gas. But our torques is absolutely rediculous in the higher RPMs. Plus its pretty fun listening to the full range of the motor from 2k all the way up.

damo

Oval Newbie
Whats the point of buying this car if your going to be worried about it ?? Enjoy it guys, dont be scared to give it a hit every now and then.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Its not lack of enjoying the vehicle, that has nothing to do with it, believe me I work my GTI to death sometimes, but just in terms of regularly commuting I wanted to know what others are doing...

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
The shifts seem to drop the rpm aprox 1100-1200 rpm, so I try to keep the engine above 2000 so it's not lugging even though the torque has peaked 200 rpm earlier. Using these numbers, I shift about 3200-3400 when driving for fuel numbers. It's not so much the rpm you shift at as much as how quickly you get there. If I floor it to 3500 all the time I might as well be throwing the gas out the windows with a 5 gallon bucket.

If you accellerate smoothly and gradually, use your cruise control lots (remember to accellerate, resume and "pause" with the lever not the pedals) you will get some great numbers. And have almost no fun.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
If I'm being anal about fuel mileage, I shift right around the 2K mark. I also read an article in Car and Drive (or Road and Track) about using more throttle to accelerate is better than letting the revs get high. Give it a fair amount of gas and shift ASAP. Seems counter intuitive, but that's what they said.

Also saw this...
Getting into the highest gear you can, at the lowest possible speed, will save you plenty of gas.

Why? Because you use less gas when the engine is turning slowly. The slower the engine turns, the fewer the number of explosions in the cylinders. And fewer explosions means less gas consumed.

So, if you drive a manual transmission car, shift sooner. As long as the engine doesn't buck, shutter, or ping, you're fine. You'll sacrifice the ability to accelerate quickly — but you can always downshift if you need to accelerate.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
i like the 6MT, usually if i wanna conserve gas i would skip the Even gear till i get to sixth when im driving.

alf

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
LivEToDrivE said:
Not sure if this has already been covered, but at the dealership the guy selling the car to me told me that your supposed to shift at 1800 RPMS, I feel that thats two quick for first and second as I've been driving it for a while, but where are you other guys shifting in terms of RPM, to provide the best gas mileage with a comfortable shift sequence?

Add 4000 rpms to that figure, and it will be just about right . . . .:laugh:

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
If you want to drive for maximum fuel efficiciency, drive like you have an egg under your right foot between the gas pedal and your foot.

This is an old method, by driving as if you have that egg under your foot, your do not accelerate as fast as you normally would have, you can follow your improvement by switching your MFD display to instantaneous mileage display, by keeping the force applied to the accelerator lightly, you can keep the instantaneous fuel consumption under 20 L/100 km, if you do that, and shift into 6th gear anytime you are 70 km/h and over, you should be able to get very good fuel economy.

just for a lark, I tried it, driving around town, and was able to keep a trip fuel mileage below 7 L/100km.

Now that was some of the most boring driving I have done with this car:barf:

But it does show that it will get damn good mileage when you drive like a granny!

No age jokes, I am over 50, but my fast keeps me at 25:evil:

:burnrubber: