Techtonics VS. APR t-back Exhaust systems

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Last edited:

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Well both my buddy from the dealership and one of the service advisors (yes, you read that right) recommended Techtonics over APR. Same bang, better buck. They also recommended either GIAC or APR for the chip, and Eibech or H&R for springs and/0r coilovers and cup kits.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
ConnerrySER04 said:
Well both my buddy from the dealership and one of the service advisors (yes, you read that right) recommended Techtonics over APR. Same bang, better buck. They also recommended either GIAC or APR for the chip, and Eibech or H&R for springs and/0r coilovers and cup kits.

even though APR is 3'' and TT is 2.5'' they say TT is better? I believe it, I'm just double checking before I throw down money. I already have APR in my ride so I was gonna drive over there, have them install the exhaust and re-flash the car to work with the exhaust. But if TT is good enough, I might just reconsider. Thanks for the info, keep it rolling in .

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
can I get some oppinions on these 2 systems from you guys? The APR is double the cost of the TT tuning, and was wondering if it's worth it.

APR:

http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/apr_exhaust_mkvgti.html

TT tuning:

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/viewpart.asp?partnum=252.525

there are options for 1 or 2 mufflers, what are the advantages/disadvantages of having multiple or single muffler setup. Thanks for the input.

:confused:

One more muffler= more weight, less noise.

I personally like the 2. Why? Because I have Techtonics 2.5" stainless on my Audi 1.8t... once I added the high-flow cat and down-pipe of theirs the exhaust tone/sound went up a bit!
I know if I had 1 less muffler I would NOT like the sound increase.

Techtonics is the best bang for the buck!!!!

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
techtonics DP AND catback is still less than the APR exhaust lol, id go with TT, w/ borla muffler, give a sweet note.

alf

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
even though APR is 3'' and TT is 2.5'' they say TT is better? I believe it, I'm just double checking before I throw down money. I already have APR in my ride so I was gonna drive over there, have them install the exhaust and re-flash the car to work with the exhaust. But if TT is good enough, I might just reconsider. Thanks for the info, keep it rolling in .

Mainly for the bang for the buck factor...I guess if you're more comfortable keeping things " in the family" so to speak, then going all APR would be fine...it's just again, as you said, double the price. Is the cost a factor for you? If so TT would be the move...if not, what the hell, go APR.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
1 muffler = less weight, less air restriction = more power and more noise.

The two big differences I can see between ARP and TT, as was mentioned before, ARP is 3" which might be good if you want to increase the turbos... But the biggest difference is that APRs is made out of stainless steel but from what a local store told me the TT is not stainless, the Borla mufflers are SS but the rest is not and has a life expectancy of 3-5 years...

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Nope! Just called Techtonics and they said the ENTIRE System IS Stainless.

Even with a bigger turbo you won't see any appreciable gains in 3" vs 2.5". Once you attain 500+ HP that "might" come into play.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
TT would know... One of their dealer SHOULD know

thanks for clearing that up.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I'll preface this by saying that I have no experience with APR and I do have previous experience with Techtonics

TT does make a stainless system, at least they have for every other applications they have made. Perhaps the stainless kit isn't out yet, but I would bet it's coming.

I've had good experience with Techtonics. I had their cams and cat-back system on my GTI VR6. I had no issues whatsoever. It gives a nice low sporty, no rice burning sound.

As far as diameter, it really doesn't matter unless you plan on seriously building up the turbo. Usualy bigger is better, but not in this case. Bigger diameter equals more sound more than anything.

I'd go with a single muffler. 2 just aren't really needed. More weight and less of the beautiful music. Borla makes a damn good product, and thats what comes standard with Techtonics.

As I've said before on here APR's exhaust is made by the German company called B&B. They are a great company, look them up on the net, and this is partly where your money goes to. I don't know if you would be able to get the APR software update for the chip if you have the techtonics exhaust for 2 reasons. The first being brand non-compatibility. I don't know if APR would do it for you. And the second being that the update is probably set up for a 3" exhaust rather than a 2.5", so it may mess things up or not really have any benefit.

Either way I doubt you can go wrong. Sorry this is long, my fingers are rambling, but I just wanted to throw some think at you.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
One other difference...

TT claims 10hp gain
APR claims 18ph gain with the APR exhaust-specific software

I have not seen any third party tests, these figures came straight from tt and APRs sites

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
Hotlanta...

let me know when you are going to get this done... I'd love to check it out and hear it before I get it done...