GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

gti vs si at norwalk raceway,oh

Rabbit82

Touring Car Newbie
but at least i own Volkswagens..shit my whole family owns VW's

Bro- 1989 Vw Jetta GLI 16v/ 2004 Silverstone Grey GTI 1.8t- with TT TB exhaust, forge 007 Dv, Aem Cai, APR chip
Little SiSter- 99 Vw Carbrio
Older Sis- 2002 Vw 4 door GOlf
Dad- 03 Vw Passat 1.8t
Mom- Brand New Jetta 2.5

sooo ya i guess u can say my family like vee dubs quite a bit

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
How much dd the Si spin?

I hate how people only compare E.T. and 60' time, but forget about the MPH.

For example, a stock STi (with a good driver) will run low 13's with a trap speed around 101 or 102 mph (I ran a 13.48 @ 101.84 in mine old STi with a decent launch - friend ran a 13.1 @ unknown mph in his '05 with a 1.699 60' bone stock).

Now, lets's do a little comparison. Let's say an STi runs a 13.30 @ 101.5 and a GTO runs a 13.30 @ 108.5. Sure, they ran identical times, but the trap speed of the GTO was much higher. The GTO is, in fact, a faster vehicle, it just cannot launch as well as an AWD vehicle. A typical 'street encounter' from a roll will reinforce this fact - the GTO should take the STi every time, not taking into account normal variables (wind resistance, traction, mis-shifting, etc).

Judging by the Si's times you posted, gti mkv, I'll bet the Si spun widly for quite a distance. If not, then something else is very wrong.

Remember, a low E.T. and high trap speed = a fast vehicle that can launch well. Low E.T. and low trap speed = a vehicle that isn't so fast but can launch well. High E.T. and high trap speed = a fast vehicle that can't launch well. High E.T. and low trap speed = a slow vehicle that can't launch well.

I know there are variables and differences, but this is just to illustrate that fact that the Si was either broken, has really crappy gasoline, was weighted down, or had a VERY crappy driver!

gti mkv

Ready to race!
i understand that,i went to the track just for my own test. before and after mods. the run in with the si was a coincedense. everyone i talked to at the track that was having traction problems,but a good driver would be able to adapt to the different driving situations and conditions.to make a long story short... there will always be some one faster, better, or have more power. i'm happy with my gti. the person with the si i raced was happy with his si. thats all that counts.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Cool:thumbsup: I was born, raised, and graduated high school in Norwalk, OH. I've been to the track many times. For others: Every wednesday is open track night. Like he said, money well spent. Not too many years ago it was coined the best quarter mile track in the country. Lots of national events are held there. Import night should be coming around soon. Reminds me, I better go to their site and look for it. I don't want to miss it. Since you fellow Clevelanders are so close, you should check out the import night. Lots of four bangers running sub 10 second 1/4 miles:burnrubber:

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
SLOWRIDE CANT HANDLE THE FACTS, AND REALLY SHOULD FIND A HONDA SITE TO JABBER AT! I HAVE RACED ONE ON THE STREET AT A LIGHT A SMOKED HIM WITH OUT REDLINING.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
tydale3 said:
SLOWRIDE CANT HANDLE THE FACTS, AND REALLY SHOULD FIND A HONDA SITE TO JABBER AT! I HAVE RACED ONE ON THE STREET AT A LIGHT A SMOKED HIM WITH OUT REDLINING.

Why do you wanna be like this? Slowride is alright. So he bought an SI, it's his money. It's good to have differing opinions on here. And as far as smoking a Civic goes, make sure you don't follow him into any curves - you might learn an unfortunate lesson about mass, center of gravity, angular momentum, and limits of adhesion.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
tydale3 said:

You don't have to yell.

Coming from you, unless you have video from 3 angles, 30 witnesses, and at least 2 audio recordings from two different locations of you smoking an Si without redlining, I don't think any reasonable person will believe it.