GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

americans! if u lived in the UK...

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
would u pay UK prices for your GTI?

£22,190 gets you a 5 door DSG GTI as shown here

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/golf/gti

lets say theres 1.8$ for every £. That makes the price equivalent to $40k for a GTI and that is before you add anything to the standard spec. theres none of this package 1, package 2 stuff. u have to pay for each extra individually, making the car very pricey.

so if the price of a GTI was $40k in the US, would u still buy it?

(also the R32 is about £4k more than the GTI, making it about $7200 more)

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
id get a motorcycle if i lived in the uk, driving there is moronic imo.

newtogolf

theres no opportunity to go fast if u live in london. u can floor it for like 5 seconds until u get to a red light/some dickhead pulls out on u/police car starts following u/some idiot runs across the road/a donkey runs in the road.

then u have to slam the breaks. just pointless.

newtogolf

the GTI price of $22k is roughly £12k. that would get u the most basic 1.4 golf lol

nomad

*cough* fuck that *cough*

edit: a productive recommendation would be: http://www.autoexchangeonline.com/
check it out and see if you can work anything out with them. i got mine from kevin, ask for him he's from scottland and he is a damn good guy, tell him you know Jack Hatton from Iraq. I got mine from Kevin, its from their 2007 catalog, its the United Grey 6spd manual pkg0 gti 2.0t fsi, i got it made to usdm safety spec's from the factory delivered to mannheim germany for $23,120 flat. so i highly recommend them, mabe they can help you out in some way.

Best Reguards!

Last edited:

newtogolf

well its too late, got the basic golf a few months a go. im still young 2 have a flashy car. my next car will be the 3.2 litre eos, where il be ticking nearly every optional extra box.

thanks for the info tho.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
newtogolf said:
the GTI price of $22k is roughly £12k. that would get u the most basic 1.4 golf lol
omg!! i want the gti from america!! how much do you think the import cost would be????

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
newtogolf said:
(also the R32 is about £4k more than the GTI, making it about $7200 more)

We already know americans don't pay enough for cars... That's why there's ugly, pointless, gas guzzling SUV's everywhere... :barf: It also makes you the biggest consumers (and wasters) of oil in the world.

America... Help out someone less fortunate than you... By driving off a cliff in your SUV, you can help save the life of a tiny kitten in Norway. .. :tongue:

Poms get shafted by their government too with a massive fuel tax...

On a lighter note.. That's a pretty good premium for the R32 over the GTI. Here in Australia, the GTI is $40k, and the R32 is going to be around $55-$60K.. Almost 50% more.. :thumbdown:

nomad

Kirium said:
We already know americans don't pay enough for cars... That's why there's ugly, pointless, gas guzzling SUV's everywhere... :barf: It also makes you the biggest consumers (and wasters) of oil in the world.

America... Help out someone less fortunate than you... By driving off a cliff in your SUV, you can help save the life of a tiny kitten in Norway. .. :tongue:

Poms get shafted by their government too with a massive fuel tax...

On a lighter note.. That's a pretty good premium for the R32 over the GTI. Here in Australia, the GTI is $40k, and the R32 is going to be around $55-$60K.. Almost 50% more.. :thumbdown:

well that was rather nice..
:bs:

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
nomad said:
well that was rather nice..
:bs:

What's BS about it??

You don't pay enough for cars (Is it really true that Ford were selling the F150 a a rate of 1 car every 2-3 seconds??).
You do own more SUVs per capita than any other country on earth.
They are uneconomical, and waste more fuel than any other consumer vehicle on the road.

Where am I wrong?? :iono:

car

Autocross Champion
Kirium said:
You are wrong to be spouting off SUV talk here. Seems that we're hanging out on this board because we have a MkV, not an SUV. I don't like being bulked into the "American that loves SUVs" category, because i guarantee I hate SUVs just as much as you do. Remember, we American MkV drivers actually have to share the road with them, not just go on a rant about how wasteful they are (we know) from the other side of the world.

nomad

car said:
You are wrong to be spouting off SUV talk here. Seems that we're hanging out on this board because we have a MkV, not an SUV. I don't like being bulked into the "American that loves SUVs" category, because i guarantee I hate SUVs just as much as you do. Remember, we American MkV drivers actually have to share the road with them, not just go on a rant about how wasteful they are (we know) from the other side of the world.

:thumbsup:

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
car said:

well although Kirium's comments are gross overgeneralization they are quite true, just look at the best selling VW the past few years here in the US...

Although GTI drivers over here feel the same way about SUVs we are the unfortunately minority...

Kirium's comments were quite harsh and maybe not appropriate but on some level I, and I bet everyone else, agrees with him.

azmcs

Kirium said:
You don't pay enough for cars (Is it really true that Ford were selling the F150 a a rate of 1 car every 2-3 seconds??).

Subjective opinion. Move here if you think it is sucha big deal.

Kirium said:
You do own more SUVs per capita than any other country on earth.

True, but I am on this forum(Rabbit MkV forum) so don't play the SUV card. I ride my bicycle to work 3 out of 5 days, 12 miles each way, do you get around in any other way than in your car? Oh, BTW, I have been doing this or 5 years, well before the gas price increase here.

Kirium said:
They are uneconomical, and waste more fuel than any other consumer vehicle on the road.

Again subjective to some degree. Our country geographically is not well suited to a large mass transit infrastructure. It is true that many here are waseful, but I am sure there are abusers right in your own backyard.

Kirium said:

Basically your wrong for the above reasons. And bagging on America isn't gonna win ou too many friends around here, IMHO.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
Scotaku said:
If you're going ask someone from overseas to buy a car in your currency, suggest that the buyer consider the equivalent adjustment in income. Sure it may cost me $1.86 to buy £1 (and it will in about four days), but I wouldn't be buying it in US dollars, or with income I'd earned in US dollars. An 86% increase in my salary to equate to £ sterling would sound preposterous! Not to mention the difference in standard and costs of living.

£22K retail for a GTI in the UK sounds about right to me factoring in the total cost. However, it is not hard to imagine the sales network in the UK has the same veiled profit tactics as any other car retailer... on any soil. I got my car on the road (in the US) for nearly 10% less than the vaunted "invoice" price which itself is about 5% less than retail. Shop shrewdly. I strongly believe a UK GTI can be had for around £18K.
^Looks like we got a business major here^ Well said. Most people dont even realize these things. Like the tax rate in New York compared to everywhere else in the US. People freak out when they here the percent but dont realize that people living in New York make probably twice as much as they do, and is why they choose to live there.