GOLFMKV

Cold Air Intakes

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
don't forget about the Evoms V-flow talked about here

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
it's not really CAI, since it doesn't dip low into the wheel well...it's just a high flow intake bro.

Technically you're right but with the air intake for the 2.0T there will probably never be a true CAI... All of the available "CAIs" just increase air flow therefore increase performance.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Vivid said:
Technically you're right but with the air intake for the 2.0T there will probably never be a true CAI... All of the available "CAIs" just increase air flow therefore increase performance.

CAI's don't just increase airflow, they increase airflow and decrease air temp. The EVOMS intake will just help in the airflow dept. and yes the options for CAI with this engine will be limited due to it's placement and design, but eventually one will be produced.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
CAI's don't just increase airflow, they increase airflow and decrease air temp. The EVOMS intake will just help in the airflow dept. and yes the options for CAI with this engine will be limited due to it's placement and design, but eventually one will be produced.

I think we are both saying the same thing in a different way :thumbup:

CAI work in two ways... Primarily they decrease air flow resistance and secondly they slightly lower incoming air temp...

The "CAI" options out there right now achieve the one of the two goals...

Wikipedia

All cold air intakes operate on the principal of increasing the amount of oxygen available for combustion with fuel. Because cooler air has more density for a given volume, cold air intakes generally work by providing cooler air from outside the hot engine bay. However, the term "cold air intake" is often used to describe other methods of increasing oxygen to an engine, which may even increase the temperature of the air coming into an engine.

Some strategies used in designing cold-air intakes are:

* increasing the diameter of the air intake, allowing increased airflow.
* smoothing the interior of the intake to reduce air resistance.
* providing a more direct route to the air intake.
* tuning the length of the intake to provide the most airflow at certain RPMs.
* using a more efficient air filter

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Vivid said:
I think we are both saying the same thing in a different way :thumbup:

CAI work in two ways... Primarily they decrease air flow resistance and secondly they slightly lower incoming air temp...

The "CAI" options out there right now achieve the one of the two goals...

Wikipedia

yeah were saying the exact same thing, and were agreeing on what is available, you however are still referring to it as CAI. I was under the impression that the EVOMS parts proper name is just an INTAKE not a COLD AIR INTAKE. Like if someone came up to me and said "what do you got on that 2.0?" I'd say, APR re-flash and an Intake from EVOMS. If the intake was designed to sit lower in the wheel well, and ingest reduced air tempature I'd call it a CAI.

:headbang:

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
This is getting silly... let me highlight the section of the quote from Wikipedia...

All cold air intakes operate on the principal of increasing the amount of oxygen available for combustion with fuel. Because cooler air has more density for a given volume, cold air intakes generally work by providing cooler air from outside the hot engine bay. However, the term "cold air intake" is often used to describe other methods of increasing oxygen to an engine, which may even increase the temperature of the air coming into an engine.

Some strategies used in designing cold-air intakes are:

* increasing the diameter of the air intake, allowing increased airflow.
* smoothing the interior of the intake to reduce air resistance.
* providing a more direct route to the air intake.
* tuning the length of the intake to provide the most airflow at certain RPMs.
* using a more efficient air filter

Essentially the term CAI is now used for any non mechanical way to increase airflow into the engine... The COLD PART IS SECONDARY...

Let me also quote Anders where he is essentially calls his intake is a CAI...

Anders @ EVO said:
I am confident there is power to be had on a stock car, but we have never tested it, nor do we actually plan to anytime soon. It makes no sense. Out of the thousands of intakes we have sold for the 1.8T, nobody runs a CAI with a completely stock car... the ECU upgrade makes the most power (bang for the buck) than any other upgrade, it doens't make sense to just do one.

Anders @ EVO said:
I Realize that everyone running CAI are not fully modified, but "IN GENERAL" they are. One of the first questions I ask nearly every one of my customers is "what do you have done to your car already" so that I can judge where they need to go next. I also reccomend chip tuning as a first mod to guys that come to me with a completely stock vehicle. So GENERALY speaking people who purchase an intake have already or are going to be chipped.

I'm done with this back and forth...

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
that's an ass-backward definition... "which may even increase the temperature of the air coming into an engine." That's not a CAI. Maybe to simplify it for the internet or this forum you can call all intakes CAI, but they are different and should be defined with different names. I'm Done too.

Dwnshift31

Go Kart Champion
From my exp (we developed and raced the 1st 350Z in NA for racing in the Grand Am Cup Endurnace series.) We played around with moving location of the intake filter....from inside engine compartment but still getting air...to putting the intake filter in the front nose which recieved direct air....We logged all data through Pectel/Motec and the difference was 10-20 degrees F at speed which = possibly 1-3 HP.

A more noticable difference will be how the air flows through the system.....and even more importantly with a MAF sensor....keeping IT cool.