GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

americans! if u lived in the UK...

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Scotaku said:
But that £22K is retail and not set in stone.

still though, u have to compare like with like. u cant compare the US standard retail price to the lowest UK price if u were to bargain them to death.

maybe u could bargain a GTI down to £18k but u could probably bargain a US GTI down to $20k.

the US cant be such a bad country to live in at all. my salary would be higher if i had the same job there. except for the fact that you dont get a free health service.

what is minimum wage where you live in the UK?

i thought i heard it was 8.50 gbp / hr.

where im from in the US (oregon) we have one of the highest minimum wages
which was 7.75 USD/hr it is probably 8 now.. but it isnt 14.42 an hour which is about the equiv to 8.5 GBP/hr

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
GTi Fanatic said:
what is minimum wage where you live in the UK?

i thought i heard it was 8.50 gbp / hr.

where im from in the US (oregon) we have one of the highest minimum wages
which was 7.75 USD/hr it is probably 8 now.. but it isnt 14.42 an hour which is about the equiv to 8.5 GBP/hr

That is a high minimum wage. Here in Florida mininmun wage is $6.15 an hour and we just got that alittle over a year ago, the cost of living here is becoming rediculous because everyone wants to move to Florida these days. Property values have gone through the roof.

Back to the OPs question I would probably get a Polo GTI, those look sick and have the 1.8T in it, and we all know how tuneable that engine is:thumbsup:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
newtogolf said:
so if the price of a GTI was $40k in the US, would u still buy it?

Absolutly, if I could get it with other than black interior. I would also pay the extra for the R32, again, only if not stuck with the black interior.

Otherwise, I would go for the A3, where there is a choice of interior color.

I buy the product, not the price.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Kirium said:
What's BS about it??

You don't pay enough for cars (Is it really true that Ford were selling the F150 a a rate of 1 car every 2-3 seconds??).
You do own more SUVs per capita than any other country on earth.
They are uneconomical, and waste more fuel than any other consumer vehicle on the road.

Where am I wrong?? :iono:
Oh yea ur right.... we have an escalade also, oh and my dad is getting rid of it for the new one so he can get 17mpg instead of 16 with this one:biggrin: . Okay sure we waste gas but wat r u gonna do about it? clearly people here dont care, and to be hoenst, im all for drilling in alaska....i see so many suburbian JAPy soccer moms driving their Porsche Cayenne Turbos around all day, and you know what if people want to waste their gas and money like that, then let them...

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
earthtoandy said:
thats absolutely idiotic and exactly the attitude that is the problem.
your right, it may bethe problem, but i and any person that wants to can ahve whatever attitude we want. If we want to drive our big SUVs let us, why do you care?

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
Kirium said:
What's BS about it??

You don't pay enough for cars (Is it really true that Ford were selling the F150 a a rate of 1 car every 2-3 seconds??).
You do own more SUVs per capita than any other country on earth.
They are uneconomical, and waste more fuel than any other consumer vehicle on the road.

Where am I wrong?? :iono:

Here is where you are wrong--You pay TOO MUCH for cars, not the other way around. It is not the fault of the U.S. that your countries choose to tax you the way they do. I suggest discussing things like the V.A.T. with your local E.U. representative next time you purchase a vehicle . . .

However, US citizens do pay too little for fuel--no argument there. It is the relatively low cost of FUEL that allows U.S. citizens to drive S.U.V.'s, suckin' down petrol like it was (insert beverage of choice here). It is not the cost of CARS, for goodness sake! If that were true, we would all be driving Porsches . . . :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Adjusted for inflation, U.S. gas prices are still pretty low.

/rant mode off/

BTW, fuel economy was one of the reasons I ditched my Subaru and bought a GTI . . . . . (just doing my part)

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
newtogolf said:
thank u. i kinda lost interest in the post when it ended up in talks in SUVs. all i was really asking was would u pay $40k for a GTI.

your kind of right about the whole what your used to factor. but from what i can see there are 18yr old american students being able to afford GTIs. but young people in the UK will probably drive the most basic golf cos thats what theyre used to finance wise.

Dude, get out of London and come to Dubai, mine cost AED103,000 or GBP16000, for a 18' wheels, DSG, climate (that doesnt work). We also have little police interference a selection of unrestricted roads and enough oil to keep the SUVs going which is useful because they are slow and useless on/off road which means they are easier to drive around.

Having said that there was TrailBlazer with a 6.2 engine that looked intersting but still I'd rather paint myself pink and rename myself Mork before getting a Tahoe

sorry, my point was no way would I pay that much back home in blighty for a GTI. instead I would be running my old Ford Puma still... UK is a rip off

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
UAE has it goin on... sorta.. ok for the most part xD i like the coastal area's in UAE, i think ive seen pics? i could be wrong..

bilbos

On the Kop
If I was still in the UK, I wouldn't have considered a GTI at that price. From my past experiences with VW dealers in the UK, getting discounts is particularly difficult. I remember when I wanted to sell my Beetle. I went to my local dealer to enquire about a part-ex on a Mk IV GTI. Firstly, he wasn't prepared to negotiate on the sticker price on the GTI (not at all), and then wanted to give me about 1250 less than the book value for my beetle. I didn't stay there for long. I ended up going to my local Audi dealer and I part-ex'd for an A3.

I agree that cars cost too much in the UK, but people are prepared to pay the price, because they are used to it. They can moan and gripe all they want, but in the end, they will still go out and buy the car.

Here is another comparison for you. When I got my TTR about 3.5 years ago I paid an equivalent of $60,000 for it. I could probably (with very good bargaining skills) get a TTR and a GTI in the US for that price.

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
RJS5689 said:
your right, it may bethe problem, but i and any person that wants to can ahve whatever attitude we want. If we want to drive our big SUVs let us, why do you care?

:mad: :mad: cause you ain't the only one living on this planet, this is the kind of attitude that pisses off the rest of the world. Wait let me guess; you don't care about that either.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
VDUBB said:
:mad: :mad: cause you ain't the only one living on this planet, this is the kind of attitude that pisses off the rest of the world. Wait let me guess; you don't care about that either.

I said fuck *the man*! xD

:drinking: