GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Filter Question????

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
if I fabricate a custom pipe that runs down into the fender would this be a good option to use as a filter?

yup...cuz if u look at the filter u can see the inlet is actually made for a pipe of some sort to be connected to it

a normal cone filter is open so it gets air from the whole surface of the filter...these filters are incased in a heatsheild type of thing and the only way for air to get into it is the front part

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
Freek said:
yup...cuz if u look at the filter u can see the inlet is actually made for a pipe of some sort to be connected to it

a normal cone filter is open so it gets air from the whole surface of the filter...these filters are incased in a heatsheild type of thing and the only way for air to get into it is the front part

No, No, No, DON'T DO IT...

yes you may get colder air but if you are not an expert with air flow you will lose so much more power from restricted air flow than you could possibly gain from getting air that's a bit cooler...

If you want a true CAI that benefits from both air flow and air temp wait for a company to make a CAI specifically for a MKV...

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
my buddy works at TAP plastics he fabricated one for his MK2 GTI, it was a rat, but he got good results on the DYNO. I don't see any of the major player's working on an intake that dips down into the fender, so I might have to try it out for fun.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Vivid is right...technicly those K&N cone filters are very restrictive cuz of the small inlet that the filter has

but as in the case with all pipes...be it exhaust or intakes or plumming pipes for your house

u are only going to get the amount of flow that the pipe will allow...so if u have an open filter but only a 2" pipe feeding that air into the motor it will only flow the CFM the pipe will allow...same goes for exhausts...your flow is only as good as the smallest pipe..doesnt help to have a 3" downpipe if your exhaust is only 2"...cuz u will only get the flow of the 2" pipe

so basicly what that means is if u were to get one of those filters...make sure u get pipes that have a decent diamater...the pipe going into the filter and the pipe coming out of the filter

hopefully that all made sense :biggrin:

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
Freek said:
u are only going to get the amount of flow that the pipe will allow...so if u have an open filter but only a 2" pipe feeding that air into the motor it will only flow the CFM the pipe will allow...same goes for exhausts...your flow is only as good as the smallest pipe..doesnt help to have a 3" downpipe if your exhaust is only 2"...cuz u will only get the flow of the 2" pipe

but just to add one thing... I would guess that a 3" "Z" shaped pipe would restrict more air than an 2" "l" shaped pipe... and air flow is far more important to performance than air temp...

If you've got a friend who has made one before talk to him about doing one for yours and let us know how it works... You might have a good little business prospect?

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Vivid said:
but just to add one thing... I would guess that a 3" "Z" shaped pipe would restrict more air than an 2" "l" shaped pipe... and air flow is far more important to performance than air temp...

aye very true...but as long as the pipe is mandrel bent or one of them flex pipes u can get from pep boys or exhaust shops...it shouldnt make too much of a difference if it is "I" or "S" shaped(granted u will have a little more restrictive flow on an "S" than an "I" due to bends)...But as long as the diamater is nice and big it shouldnt be a big deal

page 2 PwNeD!

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Freek said:
aye very true...but as long as the pipe is mandrel bent or one of them flex pipes u can get from pep boys or exhaust shops...it shouldnt make too much of a difference if it is "I" or "S" shaped(granted u will have a little more restrictive flow on an "S" than an "I" due to bends)...But as long as the diamater is nice and big it shouldnt be a big deal

page 2 PwNeD!

were you trying to say owned you lame?

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
Freek said:
aye correct....ive been playing MMO's for almost 6 years now...so u have to excuse some of my spellings and grammer...lol

are we going to start seeing "teh"

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Vivid said:
are we going to start seeing "teh"

already said it once...it was in another thread...i dont use that work too much cuz people have no idea what it is...some think its "the" misspelled...others think the person is laughin when they write "teh"

when i use it tho i use it as the l33t! spelling of "the"

lol

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Freek said:
already said it once...it was in another thread...i dont use that work too much cuz people have no idea what it is...some think its "the" misspelled...others think the person is laughin when they write "teh"

when i use it tho i use it as the l33t! spelling of "the"

lol

Don't know that filthy pig-latin, try to keep it cut-and-dry for some of us guy's that actually see the sun once in a while.

:headbang:

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
Don't know that filthy pig-latin, try to keep it cut-and-dry for some of us guy's that actually see the sun once in a while.

:headbang:

hey i see the sun everyday....through my window...lol

but yes ill try my best not to use my l33t sPeEk oN's u's