GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK4 R32 vs MKV GTI

car

Autocross Champion
I'm just curious, but aside from a more powerful engine and AWD, what makes the R32 more of a driver's car? All accounts I've read of the mkv R32s say the suspension is tuned for more of a softer/luxury feel than that of the GTI. Is that accurate? :iono:

e36mmm

Ready to race!
I have no idea to be honest but all i heard from the comparison is that gti has better suspension and easier to twist around. However, r32 i believe needs no comparison for what it is. I just love that machine. It might be heavier than the gti but it has awd and when you start tuning, say hello to that 3.2 v6 :) If i find a clean r32, im going to buy it.

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Read the review on this site (in the user downloads section) comparing the MKV R32 to the MKV GTI, and then just keep in mind that all the MKV car equivlents are better than the MKIV cars (for example the MKV GTI is supposed to be leagues ahead of the the MKIV GTI, and i can only imagine the same for the MKV R32 compared to the MKIV R32). From what i remember about the review, they basically said that if you wanted something really fast that you werent gonna modify, get the R32. Otherwise grab the GTI because its easier (cheaper) to get more power out of the 2.0T, and that apparantly the GTI had much more "I NEED TO DRIVE IT RIGHT NOW" feel.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
the mkv gti has dsg and only a handful of the mkiv had the dsg as for how many made it too aus i dont know, but good luck in whichever way you choose to go as you will not be dissapointed either way.

if u go the r32 you can always put turbo later on.

SSS_Hoon

e36mmm

Ready to race!
SSS_Hoon said:
the mkv gti has dsg and only a handful of the mkiv had the dsg as for how many made it too aus i dont know, but good luck in whichever way you choose to go as you will not be dissapointed either way.

if u go the r32 you can always put turbo later on.

SSS_Hoon
Hehe, i would prefer supercharging it. And if i have dsg on my side, it's all good. I saw one today in blue. Looks and sounds stunning. It looks so much better than a mkv gti.

MMD

Oval Champion
i had the same problem when i intended to get the MKV..but
focus with me....
GTI --> TopGear's best car in 2004
GTI --> FifthGear's best car in 2006
GTI --> is Benchmark in Germany 2005
GTI --> is more lighter than R32

compare performance to prize
idont know how much does it cost the R32 but i know the performance isnt much far from gti only half second approximately.

this my opinion

finally check out this link

http://www.autozine.org/html/Volkswagen/Golf.html#R32

hope this help u.... :smile:

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
MMD said:
i had the same problem when i intended to get the MKV..but
focus with me....
GTI --> TopGear's best car in 2004
GTI --> FifthGear's best car in 2006
GTI --> is Benchmark in Germany 2005
GTI --> is more lighter than R32

compare performance to prize
idont know how much does it cost the R32 but i know the performance isnt much far from gti only half second approximately.

this my opinion

finally check out this link

http://www.autozine.org/html/Volkswagen/Golf.html#R32

hope this help u.... :smile:

I'm with you on this, if the R32 had 300bhp then yes, anyway I just hate that grill on the R32

ACgolf

Formula One Champion
Here's Johnny said:
Its 4-motion on VWs; Quattro on Audis.

That is not 100% correct... Audi TTs comes with the 4 motion basically exactly the same set up as the MKIV R32 since they both share the same chasis. They just used the name Quattro because thats the name of the 4WD sytem name for audi. Quattro and 4-motion is only a name for the 4WD system. The system what they are really called are heldex, and some other names, etc...

nochance

Drag Racing Champion
If You get R32 make sure you have money set aside for Supercharger or Turbo Kit...But dont Do both LOL !!!

Get GtI the market for performance is going to be outstanding with the new products being released...

tango1

Drag Racing Champion
somebody correct me if im wrong but...

4-motion = quattro.... i was told its the same technology...
since u know... vw owns audi...

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
tango1 said:
somebody correct me if im wrong but...

4-motion = quattro.... i was told its the same technology...
since u know... vw owns audi...

i'm not totally sure, but technically it is the same...4 motion is the haldex awd, which is front wheel drive until the tires slip, then it sends power to the rear wheels, this is also used in the TT...not a tradional quattro, which was usually always 50/50 split full time awd. i believe the 4 motion in the MkIV R32 had the more tradtional quattro 50/50. the names are just the audi/vw names for the awd to be used as marketing tools.

if i am wrong about anything, please correct me...

HydroGTI

Drag Race Newbie
e36mmm said:
Guys, as im looking forward to change my RX-7 for a GTI, i also saw the reviews of the R32 MK4. My budget can be enough for both GTI and R32 but i was just wondering the performance and power differences between the FF GTI and the AWD R32. Any figures???

the GTI will be cheaper to mod then the r32, plus my friends 1.8t gti (automatic) just put a giac chip and DV and his car you can feel the pull from the torque, but my friends r32 doesnt feel as fast, i say test drive both, and try to see if you can ride in a GTI thats modded and you'll feel the diffrence

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
azmcs said:
You can get a mad exhaust tone with a GTI too. The big advantage of the R32 is the quattro. I don't know if the the new Mk5 R32's come with DSG, but the Mk4s did not, if that helps at all...

That´s the advantange AWD, I would have to say much rare, more limited, much power and capable on tuned like a mad cow.

Cheers

boostedvdub

Ready to race!
ACgolf said:
The system what they are really called are heldex, and some other names, etc...

Haldex...

As far as the r32 vs gti debate I went gti since all the r32's here are used, and cost about the same. I also live at 5500ft so the NA cars dont run as well.. I would have loved to have awd but i do not regret my decision at all...

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
With all the bolt on mods and a program on the MKV, you'd need a power adder or N20 for the R32 to keep up.