GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV Roof Rack

Bomar

Drag Race Newbie
Has anyone gotten one?

If so what did you pay? Factory or Thule or Yakima.

I am looking at factory but I don't want silver bars on my Black GTI.

Thanks

Bomar

GTI2007

This is the factory roof rack

It costs $ 275.00

Minimaul

Chronic Masturbator
Car(s)
e36 m3/4/5
I don't have any answers for ya, but, I'm going to get some racks (snowboard) too.

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
When I get my MKV I will probably get the Thule racks. I have the factory racks for my MKIV GTI and they are much taller than the Thule or Yakima racks and doesn't look nearly as good as those.

Bomar

Drag Race Newbie
I had them on my 911 to carry track tires to the track and then race with it on and still bet people. It was a porsche suv before they came out with one.

also can carry lumber on top of the gti for home projects.

Good to know about height of the factory racks.

Howack

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Just installed the Thule Rack, everything seems to fit nicely, overall a pretty easy install. Pics to come!

Andreu10

Passed Driver's Ed
I would fit only original.

I got them free of charge when i bougth my MkV TDI, and use them now on the GTI.

They are expensive, but not sure how much. About 150 €

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
I've personally never used a roofrack but i was wondering if these are meant to be permanently installed or can they be removed? I really only want one for winter when i go snowboarding. Does any damage occur from installing and removing?

Ram_Kev

Derbyshires Finest!
itisagoodname said:
I've personally never used a roofrack but i was wondering if these are meant to be permanently installed or can they be removed? I really only want one for winter when i go snowboarding. Does any damage occur from installing and removing?

I had something similar on my 3 Door Sunny GTIR when I moved to Ireland. There was a rubber strip between the Bar and the Car, which was white. I left the bars on for about 2 weeks and the strips left a dark patch which soon polished out. Don't know if this would be the same with the VW or Thule ones.

A final word of advice, make sure you get them lined up properly, It is possible to fit them incorrectly and a) Trap the Door Rubber or b) Stress the door frame.
Both will cause wind noise and water ingress.