GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heel Toe Driving

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
The MKV is my first car with a heel-toe pedal and still tryin to get used to it....habit keeps my foot in the old position and then when I do remember to move it into heel-toe I find myself tearing off as you apply the same pressure but get more throttle..Ive been drivin this way for 20years so guess it just takes time...:bow:

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
anyone to tell us how to do it properly??

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Isn't it technically much harder to do it because of DBW?

When coming into a corner at 3rd gear

1. brake to reduce speeds
2. clutch and downshift
3. move heel to gas pedal
4. gas to rev match
5. release clutch
6. put toe planted firmly on gas pedal for maximin acceleration
I find it easy to toe-heel sometimes because I feel my toe has more control. Each one his own I say.

That's it in a jiff. I used to do it all the time in my Integra. It's bumpy if you do it at low rpms. At high rpms, it's quite fun.

I used to do it all the time at the corner at the hospital since it was a 90 degree sharp turn. If I screwed up, I'd end up in the emergency room 1 feet away anyway! lol.

Fast Eddie GTI

Autocross Newbie
I find it easier to brake and then use the side of my foot to blip the gas. I have big feet too (anywhere from a 14-16 depending on shoemaker) so maybe it's just me adapting. I had it down pretty well in my MK4 and B5.5, but it took me quite a while to get the process down in the MK5. Just practice, you'll get it.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
to be hoenst, i htink the heel-toe setup in the GTI is pretty poor, my feet arent that huge (13) and i have trouble... also the pedals arent set right..... Sit in a Porsche... now those are fun to heel-toe

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
with modern engine there is no realy need nor benefit from heel-to-toe

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Vivid said:
with modern engine there is no realy need nor benefit from heel-to-toe

Absolutely 100% wrong.

Heel-toe downshifting has nothing to do with protecting the engine (or the like). Hell-toe downshifting is a LOT easier on other drivetrain parts (noteably the clutch and syncros) but its main purpose is for quick, smooth decceleration, taking advantage of actual braking force and the decceleration force of the engine.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
DubtecV2 said:
Absolutely 100% wrong.

Heel-toe downshifting has nothing to do with protecting the engine (or the like). Hell-toe downshifting is a LOT easier on other drivetrain parts (noteably the clutch and syncros) but its main purpose is for quick, smooth decceleration, taking advantage of actual braking force and the decceleration force of the engine.
exactly, and you dont have the sudden JOLT mid turn to screw everything up. when delaing w/ enough power that jolt will cause a loss of control, heel-toeing it prevents that

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
DubtecV2 said:
Absolutely 100% wrong.

you are 100% right

I was thinking of double clutching not heel toe

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
RJS5689 said:
exactly, and you dont have the sudden JOLT mid turn to screw everything up. when delaing w/ enough power that jolt will cause a loss of control, heel-toeing it prevents that

What he said. The purpse is to have a steady chassis through the whole braking and down shifting precedure as you enter corners. It is amazing when I ride with people who don't know how to do it and the whole car (or truck) bucks and sways all over. Yikes!

I only wear a 9 or 10 and find this set up cramped, I feel sorry for those of you with ronald mcdonald feet. I have modified my technique to have the ball of my foot on the brake and blip the skinny pedal with the outside of my foot. This is more like I am rolling my foot side to side, as opposed to pressing the skinny one with my heel.

Practice is the key......

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Ive gotten it right a few times when cornering and boy does it feel good...like someone just set of a rocket behind me:biggrin:...as you say though practice..but being a size 11 it does make it more cramped. THE MKIV defo had more room.