GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

long distance travel

fixxxer78

Passed Driver's Ed
anyone done any long distance traveling in their fast?
i may have to log some serious mileage :thumbdown:
but at least there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for work and life and that's what matters in the end :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbup: :headbang: :headbang:

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
i drove from atlanta to ft.lauderdale when i had less than 500 miles on my car

my car will be 3 months old on May 17th and i will have almost 3000 miles on the car

onthevirg

Oval Champion
Be three months in a week and I've just cleared 1500 on mine. I've been driving everywhere but I only work 12 miles round trip a day. If it weren't for wanting to go in my car every time we go somewhere, I'd probably only have 750 on it. Just love driving it though!

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
fixxxer78 said:
anyone done any long distance traveling in their fast? i may have to log some serious mileage but at least there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for work and life and that's what matters in the end

I don't see the point of your question. Are you asking if the GTI will survive long trip? Or if it is comfortable for long trips?

As you know, any car in this class designed for the European market, has to be a comfortable, high speed tourer. It is designed to travel at near it's max speed for hours on end, and to get the driver to their destination fully refreshed. That is the point of German cars. And something most American and Far East cars can't do.

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
if you drive it as it was designed to be driven you'll need to fill up every 2 hours, so you get a break and everyone is comfortable.

Buy a diesel stick at 50mph and you could be stuck in there for up to 13 hours and then it wouldn't be so fun

bilbos

On the Kop
The GTI will be a comfortable long distance cruiser.

I have only covered 1600 miles in two months as I am on a lease and conscious that my annual mileage should not exceed 12,000 miles. If I need to go on a long journey, I will probably use my other car.

CT-GTI

Drag Racing Champion
4300 miles already
and it will be 2 months this week.
No probs at all.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
sledgod said:
if you drive it as it was designed to be driven you'll need to fill up every 2 hours,

Interesting, read the new 1001 HP Bugatti will burn it's 25 gallons in less than 20 minutes at the top speed of 253 MPH. You get lots of breaks with it.

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
NorthGTI said:
Interesting, read the new 1001 HP Bugatti will burn it's 25 gallons in less than 20 minutes at the top speed of 253 MPH. You get lots of breaks with it.

ha ha, quality, I wonder how far the Veyron goes in 25 minutes and if it would beat the Golf in a race say over 1000miles at top speed.

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Just drove ~550 miles today from central Illinois to NE Oklahoma...got just a tick over 450 miles out of the only full tank I needed, which equates to something around 32.5mpg. This was no a/c, windows up, going 70mph the entire time (avg. speed was around 64mph).

fixxxer78

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks Everyone!!

thanks for the replies
just nervous about using a new car for a cross-country drive
it's over 2k miles, but still has that new feeling to me still, so i'm just a little over protective!!!!
now a secondary question....what's the best way to maximize the space available in the car
in other words, any advice for packing it....seats up/down, so on and so forth
i know seats down gives some more space, but you lose a little security from things being hidden....just brainstorming and thought ya'll could be a little help :w00t:
:headbang: :thumbup: :headbang: